Sr Character Artist
Insomniac Games | Burbank CA 91504 USA | Full Time | Posted: 03/05/2013
Senior Character Artist- not the person who creates art with characters… like the kangaroo made out of dashes and asterisks, or the Mona Lisa out of hash tags and backslashes. Cute – but not really. Nope. That is not the character artist we are looking for. Insomniac Games is looking for the kind of artist who can develop art content for characters, and to contribute exceptional quality of art to our games. Mentoring, tutoring, and providing assistance to other artists to improve workflow and content pipeline is a must for this spot. Read on if it sounds interesting!
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
• Create low poly and high poly models using 3D application(s)
• Create texture/shader (color, normal, specular, ambient occlusion, height, uv, and incandescent maps using 2D/3D application(s)
• Work w/ proprietary in-house art tools to provide content to game engine.
• Work w/ Art Director/ Lead Artist/Concept Artist to maintain art direction for the game
• Work w/ Character Art Team to maintain art direction for the game, providing and/or receiving constructive feed back when necessary
• Collaborate w/ other departments (Animation, design, tools, programming) to ensure art is implemented appropriately in the game engine
• Mentor, tutor, and provide assistance to other artists
• Experiment with and/or evaluate techniques and/or art programs to improve efficiency, workflow, or pipeline contribution to game art/engine
• Other duties may be assigned
Education and/or Experience Needed:
• Bachelors Degree (B.A.) from a four-year college or university; or five to seven years related experience and/or training in video games or film; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Advanced understanding of Photoshop, Maya (or Max), Mudbox, and Z-brush or equivalent.
• Advanced understanding of generating normal maps from high poly models.
• Advanced understanding of complex node based shader networks such as those used in Unreal Editor 3, Mental Mill, etc.
• Understanding of Perforce.
Other Key Skills: Strong foundation skills with the ability to work with detailed concept art, or reference art/ materials. Expert knowledge of human and animal anatomy. Advanced traditional painting skills in both stylized and photorealistic styles. Ability to meet deadlines under tight schedules. Willingness to receive direction and work closely with a team.
If this sounds like an intriguing opportunity to you – then we would love to hear from you. Please use the link below and apply directly to the spot. Thanks!
This job listing originated on Gamasutra.com, the game industry's leader.
|Location||Burbank, CA, 91504, United States|
|Categories||Art / Animation|
|Work Site||On site|
|Platforms||Playstation 3,Xbox 360|
|How to apply||Applications are no longer accepted for this job posting.|
|Job Code||sr chara artist|