ArenaNet | Bellevue WA 98005 USA | Full Time | Posted: 03/02/2013
ArenaNet is a studio that makes online worlds infused with a revolutionary spirit and creative passion. Created in 2000 on a foundation of industry-leading art and technology, ArenaNet first established itself as a leading light in the online game industry with the 2005 release of the award-winning original Guild Wars.
Since then, our Bellevue, WA studio has grown in size and ambition. In 2012 we released the long-awaited Guild Wars 2, which has sold over 3 million copies since launch and has been hailed by the press as the best MMO of 2012.
Here at ArenaNet our company philosophy promotes complete creative autonomy, a collaborative design environment, a casual gamer culture, and a drive to produce the absolute best games on the market (no “B” titles here). Our goal is to lead the online gaming industry, and we have the expertise and resources to do so.
The ArenaNet team is made up of close to 300 members who work together toward that common goal. We have gathered a diverse staff from many different countries and cultures into our Seattle area office. We speak a variety of languages, which—along with a shared love of games—helps us understand the needs of the global gaming community and allows us to respond to feedback from fans around the world. We build small, tightly knit teams that work together closely. Sure, we work hard, but we strongly believe in work/life balance. People who work at ArenaNet are actually happy—just ask anyone who works here!
Our President Mike O’Brien was formerly company director for Blizzard Entertainment, the lead programmer on Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos, and the architect on Battle.net. ArenaNet’s Studio Art Director Daniel Dociu is an award-winning illustrator/concept artist with sixteen years of industry experience who has worked on a long list of titles shipped for Electronic Arts, Squaresoft, and Zipper Interactive.
ArenaNet is located in Bellevue, Washington, about a twenty-minute drive from Seattle. Downtown Bellevue, which is only a short drive away, offers all the cultural events, conveniences, and shopping of a large modern city.
We are seeking a highly motivated Technology Director who is passionate about managing and mentoring a talented team of Programmers & Web Developers helping to build great cutting-edge experiences on a variety of platforms. The successful candidate will have a minimum of three (3) years of experience leading a team, and commitment to managing and mentoring people. Preferably, the ideal candidate would show a strong track record of leading other leaders and strong technical contributors of varying levels. The position also requires the ability to proactively identify problems and solutions in tools and process to support code development and maintenance.
The Technology Director is also a leader within the company, collaborating and driving consensus & decision making between both technical and non-technical groups. This role is primarily focused on managing a top-notch team of programmers and making sure that they have the tools and processes they need to be successful. The ideal candidate should also have demonstrated experience attracting and retaining top technology talent, preferably within the gaming industry. At the same time, the Technology Director should have broad skills in frontend and backend code development, and a willingness and ability to jump into and write code as situations develop.
• Manage, lead, and develop a diverse team of talented Programmers
• Grow a strong team through team building and individual growth
• Define engineering processes and tools for diverse development team
• Debug and write code as necessary to support the team and its projects
• Work effectively cross-team and across multiple disciplines throughout the company
• Work with team members and business users to develop best practices
• Assist in process improvement efforts; solving complex business problems across functional organizations
• Deliver high quality products on time and within budget
• Manage development issues and technology implementations
• Plan for and ensure that development staff have tools/skills required to perform job functions
• Eight (8), or more years’ experience in the Software & Gaming industry, with at least five (5) years managing a technical team.
• Passion for product quality and excellence in software engineering
• Strong management, team building, and people skills
• Strong cross-group, communication and influence skills
• Strong data structures, logic, and algorithm skills
• Proficient with object-oriented analysis and design
• Strong verbal and written communication skills that include the ability to gain consensus on Workgroup design and solutions for project deliverables.
• Passion for gaming, programming, and the Web
• Willingness to do any job, whatever, whenever, and however the business needs dictate
This job listing originated on Gamasutra.com, the game industry's leader.
|Location||Bellevue, WA, 98005, United States|
|Categories||Executive / Management, Programmer / Engineer|
|Work Site||On site|
|Contact Name||Thomas Abrams|
|How to apply||Applications are no longer accepted for this job posting.|