Senior Game Programmer
Human Head Studios, Inc. | Madison WI 53704 USA | Full Time | Posted: 12/07/2012
To learn more about our studio, please visit www.humanhead.com.
We're seeking talented, passionate Senior Game Programmers to join our team! At Human Head, Senior Game Programmers are expected to design, create, maintain and modify innovative and industry-leading game features, systems and experiences.
With limited supervision from the Lead Game Programmer, Senior Game Programmers will be required to regularly collaborate with other programmers, designers, scripters, animators and artists to implement and polish gameplay features, systems and assets from beginning to end.
Senior Game Programmers should be excellent rapid prototypers who are capable of quickly taking a design spec and fleshing it out into a usable game system for further iteration. Senior Game Programmers are expected to understand game design well enough to make adjustments and iterations "in stream" with their prototyping. As such, an understanding and interest in what it takes to make juicy gameplay is critical as Senior Game Programmers focus largely on player-facing systems.
Senior Game Programmers are responsible for working within an existing code base and improving or replacing code. A deep understanding of optimization, profiling and debugging difficult problems (such as memory corruption) are also expected.
Although Senior Game Programmers have no direct personnel supervision responsibilities, they will be expected to assist less experienced Game Programmers and to collaborate directly with Senior Game Designers and other high level positions.
Primary Job Functions:
• Work in cooperation with other Game Programmers, technology programmers, artists, animators and level designers to design, implement, polish, debug and optimize high quality game-play features and systems
• Quickly prototype gameplay experiences as requested by Senior or Lead Game Designers
• Take ownership (in collaboration with the team) to ensure that features and systems implemented are presented at quality within the game experience
• With the Lead Game Programmer, determine tasks to implement features and systems, and accurately determine associated timelines
• Meet project deadlines and milestones as determined by Lead Game Programmer
• Implement features in C/C++ that are CPU, GPU and memory efficient, and with an eye to a quality end-user experience
• Write clean, professional, and maintainable code
• Accurately schedule tasks and complete them on time, with an understanding of and appreciation for milestones, schedules, deadlines and efficient development processes
• Guide and mentor junior engineers on the team, consistently provide leadership and innovation
• Proactively problem-solve performance and stability issues when necessary
• Troubleshoot complex problems as they arise and construct solutions to unforeseen design problems in a timely manner
• Create/meet project deadlines & milestones as determined by Game Programming Manager
• Learn and master proprietary tools and technology
This job listing originated on Gamasutra.com, the game industry's leader.
• 6+ years of relevant programming experience with multiple shipped AAA console titles
• Proficient in C/C++ and object-oriented programming
• Game knowledge and passion and an understanding of the design principles behind games
• Expertise and passion in one or more of the following areas:AI, User Interfaces, General Game-play
• Involvement in at least one full development cycle from conception and brainstorming through pre-production, planning, production, and finalizing the product
• Game programming discipline mastery, able to produce high quality and high volume work
• Proven coding skills, self-directed, capable of working on projects independently
• Ability to work well in a fluid, changing environment as creative challenges evolve
• Strong work ethic, self-motivated, demonstrates initiative, and a powerful creative drive
• Good communication skills, able to work well under pressure
• A strong grasp of signs and feedback in player-facing systems (aka juiciness)
Other Helpful Skills/Abilities:
• Experience with open world and third-person games
• Experience with game scripting languages such as Lua
• A passion for playing games with an eye toward analyzing and breaking them down
• Knowledge of debugging/profiling tools like Watson, Pix, etc.
|Location||Madison, WI, 53704, United States|
|Categories||Programmer / Engineer, Console / PC Games|
|Work Site||On site|
|Platforms||Playstation 3,Xbox 360,Windows|
|Contact Name||Not Specified|
|How to apply||Applications are no longer accepted for this job posting.|
|Job Code||Senior Game Programmer|