Senior Game Designer
Human Head Studios, Inc. | Madison WI 53704 USA | Full Time | Posted: 12/07/2012
To learn more about our studio, please visit www.humanhead.com.
Senior Game Designer:
We are seeking Sr. Game Designers to join the Human Head team! These designers will report directly to the Lead Game Designer and be responsible for guiding the creation and implementation of gameplay.
Sr. Game Designers will oversee creation of prototypes, write design documents and specs, review gameplay and assets, and tune gameplay. This role will also run small cross-departmental cabals focused on prototyping and developing a part of the game.
Sr. Game Designers will work closely with other departments to ensure the design is implemented correctly and feedback is clear, juicy, and rewarding.
This role needs substantial knowledge of competitive leading products and will need to analyze competitive products to stay current with industry standards and direction.
Other than overseeing design-specific cabals, Sr. Game Designers will have no direct personnel supervision responsibilities.
Primary Job Functions:
• Prototype key game mechanics as necessary to demonstrate their entertainment value
• Oversee cross-departmental cabals that focus on implementing particular features or systems
• Work with technology department to ensure game works within technical constraints
• Play test and revise designs based upon user testing and feedback
• Guide and mentor junior members on staff with design skills and sensibilities
• Troubleshoot complex problems as they arise and construct solutions to unforeseen design problems and game risks
• Create and meet project deadlines and milestones as determined by Project Lead, Lead Game Designer, and Production team
• Consume vast amounts media (interactive and passive) to stay current on industry standards and trends
• Make amazing things
This job listing originated on Gamasutra.com, the game industry's leader.
• Expertise in game design and the ability to abstract and apply game principles
• Ability to envision market-leading game experiences, and the understanding of how to create them (both individually and scaling for the team)
• Demonstrates understanding of clever and efficient design to optimize for experience, development time and technical constraints
• Extensive knowledge of current and past AAA products in company's/project's market space
• 8+ years of relevant design experience with multiple shipped AAA console titles
• Involvement in at least one full development cycle from conception and brainstorming through pre-production, planning, production, and finalizing the product.
• Proven design skills, self-directed, capable of working on projects independently.
• Strong work ethic, self-motivated, demonstrates initiative, and a powerful creative drive.
• Good communication skills, able to work well under pressure.
Other Helpful Skills/Abilities:
• Experience designing Open World Games
• Programming experience, especially in C++ or scripting languages such as Lua
• Knowledge of/experience in organizational development and motivation
|Location||Madison, WI, 53704, United States|
|Categories||Game / Level Designer / Creative Director, Console / PC Games|
|Work Site||On site|
|Platforms||Playstation 3,Xbox 360,Windows|
|Contact Name||Not Specified|
|How to apply||Applications are no longer accepted for this job posting.|
|Job Code||Senior Game Designer|