Human Head Studios, Inc. | Madison WI 53704 USA | Full Time | Posted: 12/07/2012
To learn more about our studio, please visit www.humanhead.com.
We are seeking an experienced Senior Writer to join the Human Head team! The Senior Writer will report directly to the Executive Producer and will be responsible for creating the project's narrative (plot, world and character fiction, and dialog) and working with the Design, Art, and Audio departments to guide the synthesis of story and interactive experience.
The Senior Writer will be responsible for research, world-building, character design and development, plot development, and script-writing. The Senior Writer will work in close collaboration with the Art Director and Lead Designer to realize the creation of a unique game universe, compelling characters, and engaging narrative events.
The role will guide contributing writers and researchers to support narrative development, maintain the project's evolving narrative documentation, and work closely with the EP to support a parallel project as needed.
Working closely with other departments, the Senior Writer will ensure that the narrative weaves brilliantly with game-play and that the overall experience is engaging and rewarding for the player.
The Senior Writer will also need to have a substantial knowledge of--and ability to analyze--competitive marketing-leading product. The role will involve consuming large amounts of inspirational and research media related to the product.
Other than overseeing narrative-specific cabals, the Senior Writer will have no direct personnel supervision responsibilities.
Primary Job Functions:
• Co-Develop the narrative vision for the Project in conjunction with the Lead Designer and EP
• Co-Develop the key themes of the World with Lead Designer and Art Director to craft a rich and unique experience
• Develop unforgettable lead Characters and Supporting Characters appropriate for the project's genre and time period
• Craft compelling episodic-style plots and dialog that tell reveal a larger narrative
• Develop and maintain all documentation pertaining to the Project's narrative design
• Consult with the EP, Art Director, and Lead Designer in evolution of game systems concerned with expression of the Project's narrative vision
• Oversee cross-departmental cabals that focus on implementing particular narrative features or systems
• Work with technology department to ensure narrative techniques work within technical constraints
• Playtest and revise narrative elements and dialog based upon user testing and feedback
• Guide and mentor staff members regarding narrative needs
• Troubleshoot complex problems as they arise and construct solutions to unforeseen design problems and game risks
• Create and meet project deadlines and milestones as determined by EP
• Consume vast amounts of media (interactive and linear) related to the product
• Make amazing stories!
This job listing originated on Gamasutra.com, the game industry's leader.
• Ability to envision interactive experiences beyond the printed word.
• Demonstrate understanding of the integration of writing and design with regard to a compelling interactive experience
• Involvement in at least one full development cycle from conception and brainstorming through pre-production, planning, production, and finalizing the product. Preferably a game product, but a graphic novel or other visual media product would apply.
• Proven World Development, Character Creation, Plotting and Scriptwriting skills
• Self-directed, capable of working independently
• Strong work ethic, self-motivated, demonstrates initiative, and a powerful creative drive.
• Good communication skills, able to work well under pressure.
• Knowledge of current and past AAA products in company's/project's market space
Other Helpful Skills/Abilities:
• Experience crafting stories in the mystery genre
• Experience writing for video games, including Open World games
• Experience working with teams
• Knowledge of/experience in organizational development and motivation
|Location||Madison, WI, 53704, United States|
|Categories||Game / Level Designer / Creative Director, Writer / Scriptwriter, Console / PC Games|
|Work Site||On site|
|Platforms||Playstation 3,Xbox 360,Windows|
|Contact Name||Not Specified|
|How to apply||Applications are no longer accepted for this job posting.|
|Job Code||Senior Writer|