Human Head Studios, Inc. | Madison WI 53704 USA | Full Time | Posted: 12/07/2012
To learn more about our studio, please visit www.humanhead.com.
We're seeking talented, passionate Game Programmers to join our team! At Human Head, Game Programmers are expected to design, create, maintain and modify innovative and industry-leading game features, systems and experiences.
Under the supervision of the Lead Game Programmer, Game Programmers will be required to regularly collaborate with other programmers, designers, scripters, animators and artists to implement and polish gameplay features, systems and assets from beginning to end. An understanding and interest in what it takes to make juicy gameplay is critical as Game Programmers focus largely on player-facing systems.
Game Programmers are responsible for working within an existing code base and improving or replacing code, and a solid grasp of optimization, profiling and debugging are also expected.
The production work of a Game Programmer is routinely evaluated by the Lead Game Programmer and CTO to ensure proper quality and implementation, and to ensure that it supports the overall game design requirements.
Game Programmers have no direct personnel supervision responsibilities.
Primary Job Functions:
• Work in cooperation with other Game Programmers, technology programmers, artists, animators and level designers to design, implement, polish, debug and optimize high quality gameplay features and systems
• Quickly prototype gameplay experiences as requested by Senior or Lead Game Designers
• Take ownership (in collaboration with the team) to ensure that features and systems implemented are presented at quality within in the game experience
• With the Lead Game Programmer, determine tasks to implement features and systems, and accurately determine associated timelines
• Meet project deadlines and milestones as determined by Lead Game Programmer
• Implement features in C/C++ that are CPU, GPU and memory efficient
• Demonstrate and apply strong problem-solving and debugging skills in C++
• Write clean, professional, and maintainable code
• Troubleshoot complex problems as they arise, construct solutions for unforeseen design problems in a timely manner
• Proactively problem-solve performance and stability issues when necessary
• Learn and master proprietary tools and technology
• Use, debug, and modify the tools pipeline, as necessary
This job listing originated on Gamasutra.com, the game industry's leader.
• 2-5 years of relevant programming experience, with demonstrated understanding of software engineering practices and proven coding skills
• Proficient in C/C++ and object-oriented programming
• Game knowledge and passion and an understanding of the design principles behind games
• Expertise and passion in one or more of the following areas: AI, User Interfaces, General Gameplay
• Able to work independently and learn new skills, self-motivated able to handle sub-projects with moderate supervision
• Ability to work well in a fluid, changing environment as creative challenges evolve
• Strong work ethic, self-motivated, demonstrates initiative, and a powerful creative drive
• Good communication skills, able to work well under pressure
• A strong grasp of signs and feedback in player-facing systems (aka juiciness)
Other Helpful Skills/Abilities:
• Involvement in at least one full development cycle from conception and brainstorming through pre-production, planning, production, and finalizing the product.
• Experience with open world and third-person games
• Experience with game scripting languages such as Lua
• A passion for playing games with an eye toward analyzing and breaking them down
|Location||Madison, WI, 53704, United States|
|Categories||Programmer / Engineer, Console / PC Games|
|Work Site||On site|
|Platforms||Playstation 3,Xbox 360,Windows|
|Contact Name||Not Specified|
|How to apply||Applications are no longer accepted for this job posting.|
|Job Code||Game Programmer|