Digital Extremes | London ON N6A 5P2 CAN | Full Time | Posted: 10/22/2012
Digital Extremes first became known with the co-creation of Epic’s Unreal franchise, which has won numerous awards and sold millions of units. Following the success of the franchise, Digital Extremes entered the new generation of consoles with Dark Sector – the highly anticipated 3rd person action game. Dark Sector was the first release to be made with Digital Extremes’ proprietary Evolution Engine, a graphically rich gaming engine all built in-house. Following Dark Sector, Digital Extremes’ began the first of many collaborations with 2K Games – creating the entire Multiplayer portion of Bioshock 2. Soon after, 2K and Digital Extremes partnered up for the critically-acclaimed and recently released The Darkness 2. The Darkness 2 featured stunning visuals and visceral game play, all built in the Evolution Engine. Since the days of the glaive and demon arms, Digital Extremes has warped into space with its latest project: Star Trek. To be released in 2013, the company is creating a one of a kind co-op experience between Kirk and Spock.
Digital Extremes prides itself on providing a warm, inviting, creative work environment for its team and has recently been named as one of 'Canada's Top 100 Employers'. Competitive salaries, profit sharing, stock options, retirement matching, ample vacation and free daily homemade lunches are just a few of the many perks our employees enjoy. But all these perks aren't worth much if you're not working on exciting ambitious projects that get your creative juices flowing and that's where DE shines. So, join us in London, Ontario, the family-friendly Forest City and land of impressively affordable living to be a part of a passionate, devoted team of developing ninjas.
Digital Extremes is searching for an Art Director passionate about continuing the tradition of contributing to some of the most creative and influential games in our industry, which have included smash-hits from the Unreal and BioShock series! We are deeply absorbed in the development of yet another super secret, hugely anticipated, and very prestigious AAA 1st person shooter, and you could join our team and be involved!
Digital Extremes has been named one of 'Canada's Top 100 Employers' with competitive salaries, profit sharing, stock options, retirement matching, ample vacation and free daily homemade lunches.
• Primary Responsibility - Creating the visual targets, and maintaining the visual integrity throughout the entire project ensuring consistency and highest quality among art team while considering schedule, budget and staff limitations
• Demonstrate an understanding of storytelling and design process as well as ability to integrate them while ensuring that high production values are never compromised
• Collaborate with Producer to help determine appropriate and realistic milestone scheduling and content pipeline and approval processes for the art team
• Regularly meet with art team members to review current status of artwork and provide feedback and direction if necessary to ensure visual target of project is maintained
• Work directly with the Producer to articulate the creative direction of the game through the Design and Art of the product
• Work with Lead Artist to generate concepts and visual references to help direct the art team’s work
• Assist the Lead Artist in guiding the art team to push the boundaries of graphic visual quality and technology stressing the core goal of consistently committing to a standard of visual excellence. The goal is to deliver superb quality art that exceeds expectations set by the original design without jeopardizing its integrity or timeline.
• Deep understanding of leading 2D and 3D software packages, artistic form and function to help mentor and guide junior artists and provide feedback and direction when necessary
• Take an active role with the Producer and HR in recruiting the best artists and get them up to speed when they first start the job.
• Represent the art team’s perspective on development issues, professional development, tools requirements, etc.
• Coordinate with Lead Artist and Producer to assist in annual appraisal and review of all team members
• Build a respectfully objective, encouraging atmosphere for ideas and creativity
• 5+ years of game industry experience providing art direction for AAA titles
• Extensive experience with 2D & 3D art, authoring packages, pipelines and best practices
• Direct experience managing 10+ person team of artists over the course of a full project
• Excellent communication and problem solving skills
• Strong understanding of game asset pipelines
• Clear understanding of visual communication within a game environment and able to communicate the vision to a large audience
This job listing originated on Gamasutra.com, the game industry's leader.
|Location||London, ON, N6A 5P2, Canada|
|Categories||Art / Animation|
|Work Site||On site|
|Platforms||Playstation 3,Xbox 360,Browser Based Games,Windows|
|Contact Name||Kate Roberts|
|How to apply||Applications are no longer accepted for this job posting.|
|Job Code||Art Director 2012|