Hidden Variable Studios | Glendale CA 91204 USA | Full Time | Posted: 11/13/2012
What makes us so great? Well, working for a small company is pretty freakin’ cool. At our studio in the Brand Boulevard district of Glendale, CA, you get to be part of a small team, wear many hats (no single-role contributors here) and actually have a say and make a difference. Sure, that sounds great as a recruiting tool, but we’re serious about employees being empowered and having a voice.
So what’s “Hidden Variable” all about? FUN. There’s fun all around us. The challenge is revealing where it can be found in our everyday lives and presenting it with a fresh perspective – and that’s where you come in. Our employees skillfully mine the exciting from the everyday, and create entertainment that causes players to cling to our products with a kung-fu death grip, pushing aside sleep and hunger for “just one more game”. Together, we are the Hidden Variable that cause players to look at their world in a whole new light. Are you up to the task?
Come join Hidden Variable Studios – a small, experienced team of indie developers with backgrounds that include time spent at EA, Insomniac Games, THQ and Disney Interactive. You can read the juicy details here: http://www.hiddenvariable.com/about/company/.
Our first title, Bag It!, launched last fall on iOS/Android to critical acclaim and has already surpassed 5 million downloads and collected numerous accolades, including:
- Aggregate Metacritic Rating of 93!
- Kotaku’s Gaming App of the Day!
- G4TV Mobile Game of the Week!
- Entertainment Weekly – 10 Best Game Apps of 2011!
It’s an especially exciting time to join Hidden Variable, as we’re just starting on our next project in pursuit of our next hit, so now is your time to get in on the ground floor.
Reporting to our Technical Director, we’re looking for a stellar candidate that can successfully contribute to a small, focused programming team and to help shape the technical foundation for our studio. To be clear, we’re not just looking for a warm body. We’re looking for a super talented individual who’s in it for the long haul and wants to put their creativity, love of technology and passion to use. Help us make something incredible and we’ll reward you generously for your contributions!
Coding – Are you a heavy-hitter? Using your inherent awesomeness, you will implement, test, debug, document, and maintain high-quality code for iOS and Android. Since we’re such a small team, you’ll be able to do it your way and the right way.
Collaboration - You’ll be a key member of our extensive programming department—we have two rock stars at the moment, but a group of three can make such beautiful music! You’ll contribute to architecture, process, and best practice decisions. You’ll teach us your best tricks and we’ll teach you ours. We learn as a team.
Opportunities for growth/ownership:
Your Opinion Counts – Have an opinion on coding, process, architecture, or technology? Your opinions will be heard! Participate in a department that values the contributions of its members, recognizes everyone’s merits, and grows as a team. Yes, you read that right. ☺
All Of Our Databases Belong To You - As an integral spoke in the programming wheel, you’ll be a shaping and driving many of the decisions on the team. We’re looking to build strong networking and back-end expertise in order to support future business models. Do you think you have the chops?
What makes US like you?
• You're a natural leader and are effortlessly awesome.
• You have experience in mobile game development and have shipped a title or two.
• You’re always eager to maximize your value to the team in whatever way possible.
• You’re a nuts and bolts programmer and know what it means to build technology without giant budgets and unlimited time.
• You’re a calculated risk taker who isn’t afraid to make mistakes. You learn from them quickly and move forward, wiser as a result.
• You may have big company experience but you’re itching to get involved in something special in the early stages and make your mark.
• You're a results-oriented person and persevere to the finish line.
• You have some sort of formal education in your field - like a BS in Computer Science at a minimum (or a really amazing drop out story like Carmack).
What makes YOU like us?
• Unlike some young companies, we're not working in someone's basement or garage living paycheck to paycheck. We're fully funded by investors and can provide a stable career for years to come. We create our own IP, write our own rules, and do what we want when we want!
• Fully paid medical, 401(k) with matching, unlimited PTO, and other compensation incentives are highlights of a competitive compensation package.
• The team is all incredibly talented, creative, fun to work with, salt of the Earth types (that means we’re just good ole fashioned nice).
• We're all independent workers, but hold each other to super high standards. So do your thang—just be sure to do it with excellence!
• A great workplace isn’t simply a product of catered lunches, day-care and swag (although free stuff sure is nice!). It’s about working with smart and awesome colleagues on challenging and invigorating projects.
• We take the time to write really crazy job descriptions to attract people like you…because we only want to hire the best.
How do you apply?
Hopefully, by the time you've read this far, you've realized that we value custom tailored communication and people who are passionate about what they do for a living. Also, we’re taking our search seriously and we ask that you do too by reading through our requirements carefully.
That said, if you’re interested (and interesting) you can apply for this great opportunity here: http://hiddenvariable.applicantstack.com/x/apply/a2x924ybv8mr.
Yes, we’ll read every submission and yes, we’ll get back to you. We’re good like that. =)
This job listing originated on Gamasutra.com, the game industry's leader.
• Smarty Pants - Strong foundation in logic, computer science, and mathematics, including areas such as algorithms, optimization, and vector/matrix/3D math (you gotta’ be smart to work here!)
• Go Getter - Highly self-motivated and able to excel in a fast paced, dynamic environment
• Baby Got Backend - Solid Linux server and back-end network / web development skills like PHP, CSS, SQL, Python, Mongo, NodeJS, etc.
• Equal Opportunity Developer - 2+ years of professional experience with iOS/Android
• Extra Credit - Sure would be nice if you have HTML5 / web development experience and an interest in exploring new platforms, systems, and techniques
|Location||Glendale, CA, 91204, United States|
|Categories||Programmer / Engineer, Smartphone / Tablet Games, Independent Games|
|Pref Degree||Bachelor's Degree|
|Work Site||On site|
|Platforms||Mac OS X,Windows Mobile,Mobile phone|
|How to apply||Applications are no longer accepted for this job posting.|
|Job Code||Senior Programmer|