2D Art Lead - Mobile @Kabam
Kabam | San Francisco CA 94105 USA | Full Time | Posted: 04/14/2012
Based in San Francisco with offices in Austin, Beijing and Luxembourg, Kabam merges art and science to deliver entertainment as a service. Kabam delivers deep, crafted experiences for gamers who love competition, strategy, role-playing-games and social gameplay. Kabam is platform agnostic – delivering always-on, always-evolving experiences for gamers no matter where they choose to play.
Kabam believes games should be irresistibly fun to play, so the company measures its success on how often people return to Kabam games and how long they play. Kabam’s games have been praised by the media and industry and, more importantly, Kabam players for their depth of play and social interaction.
Are you a creative self-starter who is passionate about games? We want to meet you!
Kabam is growing and we’re growing quickly.
With offices in the Bay Area and internationally, we are growing at an enviable rate and this is just the beginning. We’re building games that are changing how social games are played and the success of our games has established us as a definitive leader in the strategic massively multi-player social gaming space. Our studio business model allows us to sustain a startup culture that empowers you to drive change and create and own the outcome of your contributions – contributions that impact millions of gamers daily.
Think you have what it takes to make real games? We want to meet you.
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
The Mobile Art Lead position is responsible for 2D art over a number of Mobile games under development. You will oversee a small team of artists – some in-house, some external and guide them to transform specs and wireframes into concept and production art to be integrated into a game. The Art Lead also works with the team to provide post-launch support for new in-game features and content.
This position will be a combination of someone who enjoys team management and excels at 2D Art Production. On the management side, you’ll participate in team meetings, collaborate with the Production and Engineering team, and manage schedules, art quality, and the career growth of your art team. On the Art Production side, you should be able to produce a wide variety of in-game assets, including beautiful landscapes and character portraits, in-game buildings and shop items, icons, UI elements, marketing artwork, and more. You should be able to develop fantastic pixel-perfect work and also prepare it for in-game use, cutting it to size, exporting to necessary formats, etcetera. We are looking for someone who can lead but also isn’t afraid to get their hands dirty.
If you are a leader with great communication and management skills, a great artistic vision, terrific illustration and concept art skills who is not above getting your hands dirty in order to get stuff done on a fast-moving, small-but-growing team, you’re possibly who we’re looking for!
* Wearing multiple hats to help out with all aspects of a game's visual design, UI, art, animation, marketing artwork, and more.
* Work with dynamic teams of concept illustrators and visual designers, both in-house and external to the company.
* Communicate with the General Manager, Art Director, Producers, UX Designer and Engineers to define and collaborate on the aesthetic vision and in-game implementation for a given title.
* Turn wireframes and technical notes into visually compelling and meaningful designs.
* Actively manage the asset pipeline for a game with an eye toward balancing delivery constraints (budget, time, quality); proactively communicate issues to Product teams.
* Meet regularly with the individuals on your art team for mentorship, problem solving, and clarification of responsibilities, growth opportunities, task status and deadlines.
* Maintain a strong pool of contract illustrators and designers.
WHAT WE'RE LOOKING FOR:
* 5+ years of design and/or illustration and/or 2D animation experience; social games experience a plus.
* Experience working on game titles for iOS and/or Android highly desired.
* Management experience: Has managed a team (even a small one) and has proven chops in a leadership role.
* Advanced knowledge of Photoshop. Flash, Illustrator, and especially 3D and/or animation experience a plus.
* Strong cross-functional communications skills.
* Strong passion for gaming, especially in the mobile arena.
* Fantastic hands-on illustration ability, as demonstrated through art samples; Must be able to produce work in a variety of styles and a variety of subjects, including characters, environments, props, UI elements, and more. Our game art leans more towards painterly and realistic (think contemporary video-game concept art) and not so much towards casual, so we’re looking for someone with a portfolio whose work reflects that aesthetic. (ie. We are not making casual games!)
* Ability to take direction well, when necessary, and especially to give direction well and collaborate with a somewhat flat team: Must play well with others, and no prima donnas!
* A desire to grow your skills and experience; a natural mentor.
* A terrific sense of humor.
* Must be available to work in-house in our office in San Francisco, CA.
Click here to apply: http://hire.jobvite.com/j/?aj=oXSgWfwL&s=Gamasutra
Check out what is like at Kabam on our Facebook page - Life@Kabam : https://www.facebook.com/LifeatKabam
Keep updated with us and Follow us on Linkedin! : http://www.linkedin.com/company/kabam_206001/careers
Note to Candidates:
Kabam does not accept paper applications at this time and requests that all candidates submit their information online by either applying directly to an open requisition or submitting a general profile.
Note to Placement and other 3rd party Agencies:
Kabam does not accept unsolicited agency resumes sent to our website or to any Kabam employee, and will not incur fees to any third party agency as a result. If there is a need for third party agency assistance, then a representative from the Recruiting team will contact you.
This job listing originated on Gamasutra.com, the game industry's leader.
|Location||San Francisco, CA, 94105, United States|
|Categories||Art / Animation, Social / Online Games|
|Work Site||On site|
|How to apply||Applications are no longer accepted for this job posting.|
|Job Code||2D Ar|