Sony Computer Entertainment America - Santa Monica | Santa Monica CA 94404 USA | Full Time | Posted: 04/28/2011
Join us as we embark on our next project!
The Santa Monica Studio is an open and creative environment, where we strive to make the best games in the industry.
Overall, the position of Level Designeris expected to partner with the organization to:
• Design and implement gameplay, taking direction from Level Lead and Game Director as needed on any the following: level design from concept to implementation to shippable completion, entity scripting and functionality, AI layout and all things gameplay-related. As needed, act as liaison between Lead and Junior Designers, in addition to driving or participating in any needed communication with other disciplines.
• Work within the set standard for all level asset creation within the production path as it relates to design, art and otherwise. Must comprehend a working knowledge of the game production pipeline in order to communicate effectively with other team members. Working knowledge of design systems in order to build levels in 3D space, place enemies, fully understand the relationship between gameplay elements within the level and the overall game and all the ways the player can respond to each gameplay element.
• Actively participate in and/or lead required production related meetings as needed. Attend and/or lead design-specific discussions concerning design reviews and design issues. Collaborate with Design Director, Leads and Design Manager during the product development cycle about creative and/or production related topics.
• Contribute, as needed, in all educational meetings for in-house staff on new technical issues and tools dealing with all design aspects - level building, entities, cameras, etc.
• Communicate thoroughly to insure good working relationships with the other Designers, Design Director, Game Director, Design Manager, Art Director, Lead Artist, Lead Programmer, Lead Animator, etc. Drive and follow the progress of owned areas of the game.
• Possess comprehensive knowledge of Maya, engine tools and processes, or other 3D world building software. Fundamental knowledge of game design and ability to implement 3D environment building, entities, rough cameras, creating gameplay scenarios, using design system tools as needed.
• Fundamental knowledge of game design and ability to implement 3D environment building, entities, rough cameras, creating gameplay scenarios, using design system tools as needed
• Experience in designing or contributing to the development of an "open world" game is a plus.
• 4+ years in game development, with at least 2+ years in Level Design specific role.
• Bachelor's Degree or equivalent.
Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC (SCEA) is responsible for keeping PlayStation® growing and thriving in the United States, Canada and Latin America. Based in Foster City, California, SCEA serves as headquarters for all North American operations and is a wholly owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation of America Inc.
It is SCEA's policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. SCEA does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, marital status, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, national origin, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law. SCEA also makes reasonable accommodations for disabled applicants and employees.
This job listing originated on Gamasutra.com, the game industry's leader.
|Location||Santa Monica, CA, 94404, United States|
|Categories||Game / Level Designer / Creative Director|
|Work Site||On site|
|How to apply||Applications are no longer accepted for this job posting.|