Senior Combat Designer
Sony Computer Entertainment America - Santa Monica | Santa Monica CA 94404 USA | Full Time | Posted: 04/28/2011
Join us as we embark on our next project!
The Santa Monica Studio is an open and creative environment, where we strive to make the best games in the industry.
Overall, the position of Senior Combat Designer is expected to partner with the organization to:
• Assist, collaborate with and take direction from Lead Combat Designer and Game Director as needed on any the following: character and boss designs from concept to implementation completion, including character animation implementation and tuning, environmental character impact, special effects, sound effects, AI gameplay scenario layout and gameplay tuning, controller configuration, gameplay features, magic distribution, character balance and ramping.
• Work within the set standard for all character asset design, creation and in-game implementation within the production path as it relates to design, art and otherwise.
• Participate in required production related meetings and functions as needed. Attend and participate in combat-specific discussions concerning combat design and combat design issues.
• Must comprehend a working knowledge of the game production pipeline in order to communicate effectively with other team members.
• Must understand the relationship between gameplay elements within the level and the overall game and all of the ways the player can respond to each gameplay element.
• Experience using a text-based scripting language to set-up character logic.
• Basic knowledge of scripting languages and code (e.g., XML, C++, PERL) is preferred but not required.
• Must be able to grasp and work with code-based proprietary tools to implement and troubleshoot assigned characters.
• Must have knowledge of competitive products and various gameplay genres, as well as a personal understanding of video game fun.
• Experience working with, developing or designing for a 1st and/or 3rd person shooter genre a plus.
• Experience working with, developing or designing vehicle combat in a game also a plus.
• Must possess quality written communication skills and the ability to convey abstract concepts. Ability to think logically with a strong level of attention to detail.
• Must be able to professionally communicate and work with other members of the game production team (both internally and externally).
• Must have excellent communication while still keeping the overall vision of the game in mind.
• At least 4 years in game development, with at least 2 years in Combat or Character Design (creative and technical) specific role.
• Bachelor's Degree or equivalent.
Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC (SCEA) is responsible for keeping PlayStation® growing and thriving in the United States, Canada and Latin America. Based in Foster City, California, SCEA serves as headquarters for all North American operations and is a wholly owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation of America Inc.
It is SCEA's policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. SCEA does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, marital status, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, national origin, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law. SCEA also makes reasonable accommodations for disabled applicants and employees.
This job listing originated on Gamasutra.com, the game industry's leader.
|Location||Santa Monica, CA, 94404, United States|
|Categories||Game / Level Designer / Creative Director|
|Work Site||On site|
|How to apply||Applications are no longer accepted for this job posting.|