Senior Art Director
Crystal Dynamics | Redwood City CA 94063 USA | Full Time | Posted: 06/12/2009
With a more humble staff size than other, larger studios, Crystal Dynamics has managed to carve its own unique studio culture. Working at Crystal Dynamics guarantees that you will be on the cutting edge of industry technology, as we prepare to ramp up for exciting, new projects.
Crystal Dynamics has a rare opening for a Senior Art Director on one of the most prestigious AAA franchises in the industry. We are looking for an exceptional talent to bring onto the team and continue the long tradition of visually stunning and award winning titles from Crystal Dynamics.
The Senior Art Director is one of the most integral roles within the team. The individual is responsible for inspiring, leading, and driving the visualization process, from collaborative conceptualization through final product and setting the vision and quality bar for the product at a level that is amongst the top tier within the industry.
The Senior Art Director focuses on the visual development of the product, and works closely with the Producer(s), Creative Director and Leads Group to ensure the quality and integrity of the product meets or exceeds product vision, and pushes the boundaries of competitive visual quality.
The Senior Art Director is responsible for establishing the art production pipeline and art specifications documentation (currently known as the “Art Bible”). As well as creating and maintaining the long term vision for both the staff and the product
Demonstrating solid conceptual, visualization and prototyping skills and techniques, the Senior Art Director must have the ability to remain hands-on enough in the art production to troubleshoot and devise solutions with both the internal art team as well as external vendors.
Using an exceptional understanding of visual storytelling within the game design process and methodology, the Senior Art Director monitors and maintains craftsmanship and continuity with both the internal art team and outside vendors.This is a full time permanent position in Redwood City, CA.
- Collaborating with Producer and Project Director to assemble a quality art team
- Leading and motivating the art team to realize overall goals and deliver a successful project on time
- Assisting the Producer in the creation and overall management of the art schedule and resource plans
- Tracking and approving completed art assets
- Collaborating with Lead Programmer to brainstorm technical ideas and solutions
- Creating and updating the Art Bible, ensuring that the art team’s style remains consistent.
- Responsible for establishing the art production pipeline and enforcing the process throughout the project cycle
- Working with Producer to adjust project goals and design revisions on the fly as necessary to adapt to changing situations to meet established schedules
- Identifying potential problems in the art pipeline and working with the Producer(s) to prevent them
- In partnership with Producer, help settle project-related conflicts and disputes, and counsel marginal performers, according to HR policies
- Assisting with staff plans, staff assessments and performance appraisals.
- Supporting the Producer to keep studio executive staff, the publisher and/or marketing staff up to speed on product status and vision through the preparation and presentation of appropriate project materials (e.g., milestone updates, demos, etc)
- Mentoring and serving as a technical and creative resource for the team, assisting in the resolution of complex problems, and helping them grow in their roles
Skills and abilities
- Understands game production design process and methodology
- Demonstrates an understanding of storytelling, craftsmanship and continuity
- Effective communication with peers, art staff and senior management
- Next generation console experience
- Ability to balance impacts of deadlines and resources with style and quality requirements of a title's art direction
- Demonstrated ability to solve complex problems efficiently
- Ability to maintain pacing in situations of intense schedules
- Strong time management skills with a proven ability to focus on priorities juggle multiple tasks and meet deadlines
- Ability to work cooperatively on a team spanning artists, programmers and designers, and to compromise when necessary to achieve overall best results
- Ability to communicate effectively with executive level staff on a broad range of topics: technical, business, and creative
- Shipped a minimum of 2 video game as Art Director demonstrating a high visual bar
- At least 7 years prior game industry experience
- Proven track record of working with an established AAA franchise
- Proven next gen console experience
- B.A. or equivalent degree
This job listing originated on Gamasutra.com, the game industry's leader.
|Location||Redwood City, CA, 94063, United States|
|Categories||Art / Animation|
|Experience Years||7 yrs|
|How to apply||Applications are no longer accepted for this job posting.|