The International Game Developer's Association (IGDA) | CA 90001 USA | Full Time | Posted: 05/04/2009
Are you looking for an opportunity to make a difference and impact the worldwide games community?
The International Game Developer's Association (IGDA) is looking for an influential leader to carry out the organization's strategic plans and take responsibility for achieving its short and long-term goals, work closely with the IGDA Board of Directors, volunteers and a small "virtual staff", the Executive Director will take an entrepreneurial approach to setting strategies and organizing operations to maximize the fundraising potential of the IGDA. You must have the ability to anchor the IGDA's presence and project its value in the game community, uniting staff, volunteers, developers and publishers to achieve a common goal. Key areas of focus for the ED include:
• Networking with Members and prospective Members to publicize, promote and actualize the IGDA's goals and values: Chapters, Events/Parties, SIGs, Forums, LinkedIn private group.
• Exploring and addressing significant industry issues affecting game development: Quality of Life, Recognition of Talent, Diversity
• Enhancing programs for professional development and Member education: SIGs, Leadership Forum.
• Influencing regulations and public perceptions that affect the medium of games: Anti-Censorship Advocacy, Speakers Bureau.
• Securing and sharing with Members the most up-to-date and in-depth games industry information: White Papers, Wiki Knowledge Base, Columns/Articles.
• Providing standards and guidelines that help evolve the industry: Credit Standards, ECQC, Casual Games Reporting Standards.
• In collaboration with the Board of Directors, develop and implement new programs, strategic directions, and organizational and financial plans, continuously improving the quality and effectiveness of current programs to assure that the IGDA's long-range strategy and mission are carried out and that clearly defined results are achieved.
• Prioritize day-to-day management and back-office support of the organization, including being the primary point of contact with any paid staff and external contractors.
• Maintain a climate that attracts, keeps, and motivates a diverse staff of top quality people, both paid and volunteer.
• Constructively participate in and facilitate Executive Committee and Board meetings and discussions, as well as the meetings and discussions of other Board committees of which the ED is a member.
• Serve as the IGDA's public spokesman and oversee PR and marketing efforts that promote the organization.
• Identify, develop and nurture external relationships and partnerships with related organizations.
• Promote, encourage and facilitate active and broad participation by volunteers. Serve as advisor and coach to volunteer leadership and members.
• Travel (up to 20%) as needed to participate in industry events and support local chapters.
• Prepare an annual budget to submit to the Finance Committee and the Board.
• Develop and acquire sponsorships and financial support to help fund programs.
• Monitor and control expenditures to ensure they fall within the approved budget, and exercise responsible financial stewardship.
• Maintain a working knowledge of significant developments and trends in the industry.
• Follow the highest ethical standards, ensure accountability, and comply with all applicable laws.
The successful candidate should demonstrate the following skills and experience:
• Minimum of five years executive experience leading an organization or a division of a larger entity, with responsibility for studio management including business development, financial management, administration, budgeting, and/or implementing complex programs.
• Experience volunteering in the non-profit sector is a major plus.
• Strong interpersonal skills that will allow leadership by consensus in a non-profit professional organization that is driven by a diverse constituencies and volunteers. Ability to act as a facilitator within the volunteer leadership team of the IGDA.
• Ability to translate strategic guidance from Board or Management into specific goals, and to initiate and manage programs and activities that meet those goals in a measurable and timely fashion.
• Able to balance the need to achieve objectives with the need to build consensus among diverse constituencies.
• Demonstrated integrity to enable relationship building with our studio partners, corporate sponsors, and other organizations.
• Managing outside contractors and in-house staff.
• Strong public speaking skills and experience, and the ability to articulate the IGDA mission and values, along with the value of Games as a medium.
• Ability to see and develop the "big picture" while maintaining attention to detail.
• Professionally and passionately articulate the IGDA mission, values and ideals to broad audiences and diverse stakeholders.
• Comfortable with the technology and tools needed to communicate, manage, and lead a virtual organization.
• Self directed and able to set and achieve goals with minimal managerial oversight.
About the IGDA
The International Game Developers Association's mission is to advance the careers and enhance the lives of game developers by connecting members with their peers, promoting professional development, and advocating on issues that affect the developer community. The IGDA has established the long term goal of becoming the organization that anyone who is involved in game development believes he/she must belong to in order to complete his/her identity and further their personal and professional goals. The IGDA's core values are: community, professionalism, expression, innovation, impact, leadership and fun.
How to Apply
The Executive Director is a full-time, exempt position. The IGDA is offering a competitive salary and benefits package. Please send your resume and cover letter describing why you are the best candidate for this role to Marta Daglow at firstname.lastname@example.org All inquiries and applications will be Confidential. Note: Daglow Consulting Group has been engaged by the IGDA to conduct this search pro bono in the tradition of the IGDA volunteers who have built the organization over the last 15 years. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This job listing originated on Gamasutra.com, the game industry's leader.
|Location||CA, 90001, United States|
|Categories||Executive / Management|
|Contact Name||Marta Daglow|
|How to apply||Applications are no longer accepted for this job posting.|