Head of PR
ArenaNet | Bellevue WA 98005 USA | Full Time | Posted: 03/02/2013
ArenaNet is a studio that makes online worlds infused with a revolutionary spirit and creative passion. Created in 2000 on a foundation of industry-leading art and technology, ArenaNet first established itself as a leading light in the online game industry with the 2005 release of the award-winning original Guild Wars.
Since then, our Bellevue, WA studio has grown in size and ambition. In 2012 we released the long-awaited Guild Wars 2, which has sold over 3 million copies since launch and has been hailed by the press as the best MMO of 2012.
Here at ArenaNet our company philosophy promotes complete creative autonomy, a collaborative design environment, a casual gamer culture, and a drive to produce the absolute best games on the market (no “B” titles here). Our goal is to lead the online gaming industry, and we have the expertise and resources to do so.
The ArenaNet team is made up of close to 300 members who work together toward that common goal. We have gathered a diverse staff from many different countries and cultures into our Seattle area office. We speak a variety of languages, which—along with a shared love of games—helps us understand the needs of the global gaming community and allows us to respond to feedback from fans around the world. We build small, tightly knit teams that work together closely. Sure, we work hard, but we strongly believe in work/life balance. People who work at ArenaNet are actually happy—just ask anyone who works here!
Our President Mike O’Brien was formerly company director for Blizzard Entertainment, the lead programmer on Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos, and the architect on Battle.net. ArenaNet’s Studio Art Director Daniel Dociu is an award-winning illustrator/concept artist with sixteen years of industry experience who has worked on a long list of titles shipped for Electronic Arts, Squaresoft, and Zipper Interactive.
ArenaNet is located in Bellevue, Washington, about a twenty-minute drive from Seattle. Downtown Bellevue, which is only a short drive away, offers all the cultural events, conveniences, and shopping of a large modern city.
The Head of Public Relations is responsible for creating, managing, and executing innovative and aggressive media plans for Guild Wars 2, as well as ArenaNet in general, studio wide.
Candidates should expect to lead a team of other public relations professionals, brand managers, and copywriters—providing supervision, organization, and most importantly, vision in this role. The cornerstone and purpose of this role is to develop, implement, and maintain an overall strategic public relations program for ArenaNet, and to manage the budgets of public relations programs. In addition, this role is both internally and externally facing to various customer groups pertaining to ArenaNet business needs. The ideal candidate should be visionary, have strong business acumen, and able to manage multiple conflicting priorities effectively.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The ideal candidate is prepared to carry out the following essential duties:
• Management of high-level media relations with business, consumer, and trade press
• Develop overall PR plan by defining goals, strategies and tactics
• Working with outside agencies and other vendors on special projects as assigned
• Driving proactive communication strategies to elevate brand awareness of ArenaNet and Guild Wars 2 worldwide
• Providing senior management with advice and strategies to enhance the company’s success, by applying proactive and reactive communication strategy (including crisis communications)
• Contribution to (and ownership of) marketing plans within a collaborative culture. Coordinate closely with brand marketing and community teams.
Qualifications and Requirements
The ideal candidate demonstrates the following qualities:
• Strategic thinker
• Minimum 3 years Games Industry experience
• Excellent project management and project execution skills
• Analytical thinker with proven ability to multi-task
• Highly developed communication, writing, and editing skills
• Ability to motivate other team members and lead by example
• Ability to present a competent, professional image at all times
• Ability to gauge appropriate response when dealing with the media
• Extensive knowledge of the interactive entertainment industry
The ideal candidate has the following background:
• Bachelor’s degree from four-year college or university, with a major in public relations, communications, English, journalism, business, marketing, or related field (although comparable industry experience may be considered in lieu of a college degree)
• Minimum of 5 years of experience in a Public Relations position in the same or a related field
• Demonstrated public relations experience required
This job listing originated on Gamasutra.com, the game industry's leader.
|Location||Bellevue, WA, 98005, United States|
|Categories||Marketing / PR / Communications|
|Work Site||On site|
|Contact Name||Thomas Abrams|
|How to apply||Applications are no longer accepted for this job posting.|