Sr Technical Artist
Insomniac Games | Burbank CA 91504 USA | Full Time | Posted: 03/05/2013
Did you dream of working at the United Nations – but that pesky background check they do tripped you up? Well – here is your chance to be a translator of sorts. Insomniac Games is looking for someone who speaks tech as well as art. The Senior Technical Artist blends significant industry experience and artistic versatility to a variety of technical art tasks. S/he will provide technical support to artists, and act as a liaison between the Art department and the Core department. This person will research and implement new tools and technology for the team. In addition, the artist must leverage their experience to provide feedback, mentoring, and recommendations throughout the course of product development.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
• Develop tools using MelScript, Python and sometimes C/C++ in support of a pipeline or feature for lighting, environment, character, or FX artists.
• Proactively researches, evaluates, and tests new tools and tech especially during pre-production.
• Creates and optimizes shaders for the game.
• Works with art department to develop production pipelines
• Assists in developing content creation guidelines with art leads.
• Assists in optimizing memory and performance in game.
• Assists in defining engine features.
• Trains artists on new tech or pipelines.
• Works closely with core to solve art tech problems.
• Keeps current with newest programs used in games and film as well as the newest versions of in-house software.
• Pro-actively tracks efficiency of asset pipelines and processes throughout the life of the project, identifying bottlenecks and fixes them where necessary.
• Enjoys art tools creation, improving workflows, and making things as efficient and enjoyable as possible.
• Provides feedback, mentoring, and recommendations to art teams.
• Other duties may be assigned
Education and/or Experience:
• Bachelor's degree (B. A.) from four-year college or university; or five to seven years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience in games or film.
• Working knowledge of Photoshop, Maya, and ZBrush (or equivalent).
• Understands how to generate a normal map from high poly models.
• Advanced understanding of complex node based shader networks such as those used in Unreal Editor 3, Mental Mill, etc.
• Advanced understanding of GgFX, HLSL, or Cg from a technical artist’s perspective.
• Advanced knowledge of MelScript and Python and a level editor like Unreal or equivalent.
Other Skills that are gold stars: Knowledge of foundational skills, including composition, design, and color theory a plus. Experience in both stylized and photorealistic styles desired. Ability to meet deadlines under tight schedules. Willingness to receive direction and work closely with a team. Advanced understanding of art production pipelines.
C/C++, experience with Houdini and After Effects or equivalent a plus as well.
This is a tall order - but we know there is someone who is looking to straddle the line of tech and art! Please use the link below and apply directly to the position. We look forward to hearing from you! Thanks .
This job listing originated on Gamasutra.com, the game industry's leader.
|Location||Burbank, CA, 91504, United States|
|Categories||Art / Animation|
|Work Site||On site|
|Platforms||Playstation 3,Xbox 360|
|How to apply||Applications are no longer accepted for this job posting.|
|Job Code||Sr Te|