Senior Server Programmer
BioWare Austin | Austin TX 78758 USA | Full Time | Posted: 11/14/2012
BioWare is a division of EA which crafts high quality multiplatform role-playing, MMO, social, play-for-free and strategy games, focused on emotionally engaging, rich stories with unforgettable characters and vast worlds to discover. Since 1995, BioWare has created some of the world's most critically acclaimed titles and franchises, including Baldur's Gate™, Neverwinter Nights™, Star Wars®: Knights of the Old Republic™, Jade Empire™, Mass Effect™ and Dragon Age™.
BioWare Austin is seeking a qualified Senior Server Engineer to help create and maintain Massively Multiplayer Online (MMO) game server systems. The successful candidate will have expert knowledge of and experience in the design, implementation and continuing support of large scale client/server applications using primarily C++. Extensive experience with and knowledge of multi-tier client/server architecture (as well as scalable distributed systems) is required. Previous MMO experience is a strong plus.
• Works with Technical Directors and other senior engineers to architect and refine game server systems.
• Works with designers, artists and other personnel involved in the development of products as required.
• Develops and authors all phases of technical design specifications and completes implementation.
• Writes clear, maintainable, portable code.
• Test and refine code and systems throughout the development cycle of the project.
• Accurately estimates his/her schedules and delivers high quality work products to that schedule
• A Bachelor's degree in computer science or computer engineering
• Minimum of 5 to 10 years professional software development experience writing client / server applications in C++
• Architectural expertise in designing distributed simulation systems, particularly in an MMO context
• Expertise in Unix/Linux/Win32 Operating systems
• Expertise in building multithreaded, multi-process, real-time systems
• Expertise with client/server message passing architectures
• Experience working with very large code bases
• Experience tuning real-time server systems for performance and reliability
• Experience with persistence of distributed systems
• Excellent analytical and mathematical skills
• Strong interpersonal skills and problem solving ability
• Database API programming in C++
• Experience with SQL
• Experience with Perl, Python, Bash
• Experience mentoring or directing work of more junior staff
• Game industry experience
Due to the volume of applications we receive for our job postings, we are unable to respond personally to phone or email inquiries regarding the status of an application. Only candidates being considered for an interview will be contacted at this time.
To apply, please click here.
This job listing originated on Gamasutra.com, the game industry's leader.
|Location||Austin, TX, 78758, United States|
|Categories||Programmer / Engineer, Console / PC Games, Social / Online Games|
|Pref Degree||Bachelor's Degree|
|Work Site||On site|
|Platforms||Online Multiplayer,Linux / UNIX,Windows|
|Contact Name||Bioware HR|
|How to apply||Applications are no longer accepted for this job posting.|