Even the most iconic characters, weapons, and armor in the World of Warcraft (WoW) began life in a sketchbook. Concept artists are absolutely critical to the vision of a game and the creative process as whole here at Blizzard Entertainment. We are looking for a character concept artist to join the World of Warcraft team. This is a hyper creative role for an artist with a playful imagination coupled with a high degree of artistic skill. You will be expected to take a seed of an idea and flesh out all aspects of the design. These designs may include anything from weapons or armor sets to any number of creatures and bosses. This role requires a strong sense of caricature, design, color theory, human and animal anatomy, weapons, armor and costume design, and the ability to both create in and push the WoW style.
- Create weapon, armor, creature, and character concepts in the WoW style.
- Work in conjunction with the 3d character artists to create a high quality asset from beginning to finish.
- Work with the art director, character lead and character artists to expand the world of our game.
- Strong understanding of digital content creation tools such as Photoshop, Painter, etc.
- Excellent illustration skills, deep understanding of composition, anatomy, color theory, values, form, shape language, and silhouette
- An exceptional understanding of human and creature anatomy with a keen eye towards form, shape, structure, and silhouette in regards to illustration and design
- Understanding of the distinctive WoW visual style and a passion to push it to the next level
- A passion for video games
- Working knowledge 3D art techniques and software packages such as Maya, 3Ds Max, or Zbrush
- Strong foundation in the traditional arts, including but not limited to figure drawing, landscape painting, and illustration
- Have shipped AAA PC or console titles as a concept artist
Required Application Materials
- Cover letter
- Portfolio demonstrating relevant artistic skills
- Only online artwork submissions will be accepted (e.g. website, blog or online album)
- An art test may be required if the work presented doesn’t adequately demonstrate an ability to match the WoW art style
Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. and its affiliated companies is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.