Reporting to the senior art director, the art director will be their key partner in the execution of World of Warcraft’s (WoW) art. The art director role requires you to ignite others both as a leader and as an artist. As a leader you will be a motivational catalyst for the art team. As an artist, you will help define the look of new characters, environments, and architecture in the WoW style. In addition to channeling the visual direction of our senior art director to the art team, the role will act as one of the key communications conduits for design and programming.
- Create concept paintings, models, textures, and other benchmark assets that inspire others.
- A proven ability to visually solve problems in collaboration with the broader game team including other artists, art leads, and design leads.
- Partner with the senior art director to own and define assigned aspects of the project as directed.
- Excellent ability to art direct multiple art disciplines.
- Partner with production to ensure schedules and plans meet business and project needs.
- Partner with art management to ensure team is healthy and strong.
- A minimum of 10 years’ experience crafting video game art
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience as a lead artist or art director
- Genuinely enjoys working with others
- Takes initiative to solve problems with excellent follow through
- Thrives in a collaborative work culture
- Experience working with an art director to develop a unique and cohesive visual style
- Works closely with game design to ensure art enhances the player experience
- Able to explore a wide variety of ideas that push the WoW style
- Passion for medieval fantasy
- Extensively played WoW
Required Application Materials
- Cover letter
- Portfolio demonstrating relevant artistic skills
- Only digital artwork submissions such as website, blog or online album will be accepted
- An art test may be required if the work presented doesn’t adequately demonstrate a similar style to Wow
Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. and its affiliated companies is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.