Date: April 25th, 2014
Job Title: Web & Interaction Designer
Reports to: Art Director
Exemption Status: Exempt
Location: Madison, WI
Compensation: $35,000 - $45,000
Nature and Scope
Filament Games is seeking an experienced Web & Interaction Designer to help us launch a product line of learning games. Filament believes in making educational web experiences that shine. This means we are looking for someone who:
- Enjoys designing beautiful interfaces based on principles of graphic design and usability
- Looks for ways to enhance the user experience in the form of elegant design solutions and novel user interactions
- Is comfortable taking the time to iterate upon and polish designs, animations, and other assets
- Is comfortable working closely with a multi-disciplinary team
Authority, Responsibility, & Relationships
- Manage art pipelines and delegate tasks to the illustration team
- Provide estimates to the production team
- Play a key role in the development and maintenance of visual styles
- Work with the game design team to create storyboards and wireframes
- Help manage the art pipeline and integrate assets from other artists
- Reports to: Art Director
- Direct Reports: None currently
- Coordinates activity with: Design, Illustration, Engineering, Web, and Production
Measures of Success
- Creating engaging, clear user experiences that bring reason to the subject matter
- Developing innovative solutions for common usability issues
- Efficiently and effectively coordinating available art resources
- Degree in Graphic Design, Human-Computer Interaction, Art, Animation, or equivalentexperience
- 3+ years of experience using visual design tools such as Photoshop and Illustrator
- Online portfolio that demonstrates a strong aesthetic sense and experience designing sleek,usable interfaces and graphic layouts
- Strong visual literacy and the ability to work in a variety of styles
- Outstanding graphic design skills with a strong sense of layout, color, typography, and style
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Imaginative and innovative
- Driven to create exceptional interactive experiences
- Comfortable sharing, inspiring, brainstorming, and communicating ideas and concepts
- Open to design input from other team members
- Familiarity with CSS and HTML
- Familiarity with classic and current game titles
- Bonus points for Flash experience and illustration ability
About Filament Games
Filament Games is a game production studio that exclusively creates learning games. Our corecompetency is combining best practices in commercial game development with key concepts from thelearning sciences. Accordingly, our senior staff is comprised of individuals who are equal parts game andinstructional designers. Our “dual literacy” and high standards have earned numerous awards over thepast several years.
Benefits: Filament Games is an awesome place to work. Why?
- Our team is a creative, interdisciplinary group of people who are making a difference. Throughinnovative educational games we’re working to modernize education and revolutionize learning!
- We believe that the best work – and the best life – comes from a health balance between workand play, discipline, and fun. Our office culture reflects this. For example, we have flexible workhours, LAN nights, grill outs, sketch nights, Show-n-Tells, ropes course outings, and theoccasional Nerf battle.
- Our stylish, fun and relaxed office is conveniently located on the near-east side of Madison, alively city with a world-class university, vibrant tech industry and beautiful state capitol. Thenear-east side is a vibrant, mixed-use neighborhood near Lake Monona that offers affordablehousing, eclectic restaurants, music venues and retail stores- all within walking distance of ouroffice. Even better, we’re only two miles from the heart of downtown and the university.
- Filament offers a competitive benefits package, including health/dental/vision care, short & longterm disability, a Flexible Spending Account, 401k retirement plan, subsidized metro travel,discounted gym membership, discounted parking, supplemental coverage through Aflac, generous paid time off and extended holidays.
To Apply: To apply, please view the job posting at https://www.filamentgames.com/content/web-interaction-designer. After reading the job description, click the “APPLY NOW” button at the bottom of the webpage. Include your cover letter, addressed to Connor Hayes, and resume. In your cover letter, please include the contact information for three professional references. Finally, upload a link(s) to your online portfolio.
Applicants will be considered for positions on the basis of qualifications and ability to perform the job for which they are applying without regard to race, religion, creed, sex, age, residency, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, or physical appearance. Minorities are encouraged to apply.