, Browser Based Games, Linux / UNIX, Mac OS X,
Visual FX Artist
Robot Entertainment, the independent developer of Orcs Must Die! and Hero Academy, is looking for an experienced and talented FX artist to join its staff. This individual will be key in taking Robot’s games to the next level by creating special effects that will bring depth, refinement, and style to our gameplay.
Required Skills & Experience
• Have the experience and the knowledge base needed for creating a variety of particle effects to be used in games. From environment ambience to impact effects, the FX artist is responsible for making every aspect of the game look better.
• Have 3ds Max and animation experience to help bring ideas to life with animated geometry effects that can be exported into the game.
• Have proficiency and a deep understanding in creating particle effects in the Unreal 3 engine.
• Have an exceptional understanding of Photoshop and/or After Effects for creating textures and effects sequences.
• Be able to bring together creativity, advanced knowledge, and passion for visual effects to communicate complexity in ways that are simple yet visually compelling.
• Have a good foundation comprised of both strong technical understanding and artistic knowledge. Must be as comfortable editing data files in xml as you are painting in Photoshop or animating in 3ds Max.
• Be a great communicator, with the ability to collaborate across designers, programmers, and artists to bring visual effects within the project’s technical parameters and push the boundaries of the visual design.
• Be self-motivated, with a strong ability to prioritize multiple tasks effectively.
• Must have shipped at least one title while in an Visual FX Artist role.
Desirable Skills & Experience
• Have experience with art pipelines that support Unity.
• Possess additional knowledge in motion graphics and potential storyboarding experience.
• Have a passion for games and game development; the candidate must possess a deep knowledge of the freedoms as well as limitations of visual fx in game engines.
• Have experience with the creation of next-gen shaders and materials.
The ideal candidate…
• Is a team player who enjoys collaborating with other artists, designers, and programmers.
• Possesses a solid understanding of the processes involved in getting art assets into game engines, and can then optimize those assets for both visual quality and performance.
• Has a passion for video games and a solid understanding of game development.
• All applicants must provide examples of their work via a website, blog, or online album to be considered for this position.