Work alongside a team of the best artists, engineers and designers on the planet and enjoy the support of a company whose culture is centered on collaborative game development. We are gamers at heart at Blizzard – across all levels - and it shows in our craft.
The ideal candidate has extensive experience working with 3D packages, in-game FX systems to create a wide range of VFX (fire, smoke, magic, electricity, explosions, etc.), as well as a general understanding of good game play communication. A solid grasp of the principles of motion, anticipation, dynamics, follow-through, lighting, and other facets of animation is essential. The VFX Artist must have skill in creating textures and geometry needed for stylized VFX.
- Creation of hand crafted visual effects to be used in real-time game assets.
- Technical setup, integration, and troubleshooting of VFX in a real-time game engine.
- Work with lead artists to ensure timely completion of VFX assets at the desired quality bar.
- Serve as an active participant in team art discussions, critiques, and reviews.
- A minimum of 2 years’ creating real-time special FX for video games
- Experience with creating consistently brilliant, eye catching real-time FX using Photoshop, Maya, and in-game FX systems
- Able to paint special FX textures from scratch and match an established style
- Proficiency with 3D graphics, particle systems, physics, ribbons, shaders, etc.
- Working knowledge of rendering engines and experience designing VFX shaders
- Solid game design awareness and an exceptional game design oriented collaborator
- Self-driven, excellent communicator
- Solicits feedback and critique frequently; uses feedback to improve content
Required Application Materials
- Previously shipped AAA PC or console titles as a VFX artist
- Experience authoring custom materials and graphics shaders
- Scripting experience in LUA, Python, etc.
- Skill in one or more related disciplines – illustration, modeling, animation, or technical art
- Understanding of the visual style of Blizzard games and a passion to push it to the next level
- Portfolio of work in digital format (Website, Blog, online album, Dropbox, etc.) Physical media will not be accepted
- Cover letter
**Only submittals with all three will be considered.
Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. and its affiliated companies is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.