BioWare Austin is home to the critically acclaimed and award winning Star Wars®: The Old Republic™ MMO. After the hugely successful addition of its Free 2 Play option and the highly praised launch of space PVP with the Galactic Starfighter expansion, the Austin team continues driving forward with SW:TOR and is also hard at work on several unannounced projects. Apply today and learn about the exciting opportunities at our Studio. It’s an amazing time to come and work with us!
We are seeking a talented Contract Visual Effects Artist to join our Austin team. Visual Effects Artists at BioWare research, conceptualize, and animate natural effects (water, smoke, foliage, dust, fabric) as well as fantastical effects (spells, explosions, powers, etc.). Candidates must have an interest in fantasy, be driven to create effects never before seen in video games, and have a good eye for effective visual representations. Successful candidates must be proficient in animation and have an understanding of physical principals. We are also looking for strong problem- solving skills.
NOTE: Portfolio Required (details below). This is a full-time, contract/temporary position for up to 12 months.
• Develops a large range of visual effect art assets according to the agreed design and within the constraints of the target hardware and software. These art assets include particle systems, meshes, textures, and animations.
Partners closely with the Lead Artists and will be responsible for creating spectacular visual effects.
• Responsible for all technical and aesthetic considerations for the project’s visual effect art style.
• Manages In-Game Particle Effects work, Explosions, Gunfire, Energy FX, weather effects, etc.
• Communicates with programmers and designers as necessary to bring tasks to completion.
• Provides creative input specific to assigned tasks.
• 2+ years experience in the game industry is preferred (or demonstrated equivalent visual effects ability)
• Experience with creating FX in a game engine
• Experience in Photoshop (required) and After Effects (preferred)
• Experience with a scripting language (Mel, Maxscript or Python, etc.)
• Experience with real-time shaders in modern game engines
• Ability to view visual reference of an effect, deconstruct it, and re-create it in a real-time game engine
• Strong knowledge of environmental effects, cloth simulations, lighting and dynamics
• Ability to be creative beyond reality and demonstrate a flair for sensational and extraordinary effects
• Excellent communication and problem-solving skills.
• Honest, direct, and flexible approach to work yet firm
• Solid Technical abilities to aid in creating new visual effects art pipelines
• Knowledge of source control software such as Perforce
• Ability to focus on keep content relevant to the current projects art style and work within those limitations
• Meticulous and organized in the approach to tasks, files and storage of the material
**3D Portfolio Requirements**
A link to your portfolio must be included with your application/resume. All portfolios must contain a detailed shot breakdown of the work. It must be very clear what you, the applicant, are responsible for in your reel, screenshots, scanned pictures, web page portfolio, etc.
(Please include as many of the following elements as you can)
• Examples of natural and organic effects (smoke, fire, waterfalls)
• Examples of fantastical effects animation (spells, explosions)
• Examples of rigid or soft body dynamics
• Effects created in a game engine
• Examples of modeling texturing and lighting
• Examples of various animations