Kerrigan, Raynor, Tyrael, Diablo, Arthas, Thrall…these are just a few of the epic characters that inhabit our worlds. Each one is as iconic and unforgettable as the last, and each one was brought to life by the hand of a talented artist.
And now it’s your turn…
As lead character artist for Blizzard’s next amazing game, you will lead the team that brings future legends to life.
Your unique skills as lead character artist allow you to be an unstoppable combination of visionary artist, gamer, and leader. As an artist, you’ll collaborate closely with the art director to define the vision for both the characters and organic modeling. As a gamer, you’ll be inducted into a cabal of designers, engineers, and artists whose singular goal is to create truly epic hero moments in gaming. Lastly, you’ll draw on your veteran experience to guide a team of the most talented artists in the industry in creating a legion of characters to inhabit this new and exciting world.
If the opportunity to help create Blizzard’s next iconic gaming experience is a challenge you’ve been waiting for, we definitely want to talk!
- Work closely with art director / leads to drive and evangelize the artistic vision of the game.
- Owns the development of the visual style / pipeline for weapons, equipment, and props.
- Maintain consistency of team’s deliverables through regular critiques, feedback and mentoring.
- Assist in planning asset production in collaboration with the concept, character and level teams.
- Work closely with outsourcing teams to establishing visual consistency.
- Level up your team’s skills through mentorship of skills, process and artistic techniques
- A mminimum of 5 years’ experience in game development as an artist specializing in character / organic modeling using Maya, Photoshop, Zbrush, or Mudbox
- Exceptional understanding of next generation asset creation pipelines and tools
- Experience working with an art director in developing a unique and cohesive modeling and texturing style for characters
- An exceptional understanding of form, shape, structure, and silhouette in regard to modeling
- Superior eye for light, shade, color, and detail in creating texture maps
- Able to contribute to, interpret and clearly communicate art direction to a team
- Self-motivation, good communication skills, and a great team-player attitude
- Proven ability to mentor effectively
- Able to work creatively as part of a large or small group
- Proven problem-solving / prototyping ability
- Able to effectively collaborate with game designers and programmers
- Understanding of the visual style of Blizzard games and a passion to push it to the next level
- Have shipped AAA PC or console titles in a lead artist position
- A passion for video games
- Experience in creating visual designs that support gameplay oriented goals
- Skill in one or more related disciplines – illustration, animation, visual effects, or technical art
- Experience in working with outsource art studios and other external vendors
Submission / Portfolio requirements
- Cover Letter
- Portfolio and / or reel demonstrating relevant artistic skills
- Only online artwork submissions will be accepted (e.g. website, blog or online album)
- Must be willing to complete an art test if requested to do so
Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. and its affiliated companies is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.