As an environment artist on Blizzard’s next groundbreaking game, you’ll inject character into environments by creating art that brings them to life in a way that is both detail oriented and consistent with the handcrafted art styles that our games are known for.
Knowledge of Blizzard’s unique shape language and liberal use of color will allow you to work collaboratively with a team of highly skilled artists and designers to breathe life into the world. Your broader experience with game development and building well designed levels will help you work collaboratively with level designers to ensure that you are always putting gameplay first when it comes to developing strong, fun areas to play in.
In short, you’ll be part of a close-knit, collaborative community of artists, engineers, and designers whose sole goal is to make a truly immersive game experience.
So, what will be your responsibilities in this role?
- Using concept art inspiration to create game assets that make our environments come alive.
- Using next-gen materials and pipelines to forge assets for use in the game engine.
- Iterate on game assets with production artists via prototyping and group critiques.
Oh, you can do that in your sleep, you say? What are the requirements, you ask?
- A minimum of 1 years’ experience in game development as an artist specializing in hard surface, props, or organic modeling using Maya, Photoshop, or 3DS Max
- Exceptional understanding of next generation asset creation pipelines and tools
- An exceptional understanding of form, shape, structure, and silhouette in regard to modeling
- Superior eye for light, shade, color, and detail in creating texture maps
- Self-motivation, good communication skills, and a great team-player attitude
- Able to work collaboratively within a multi-disciplinary art team to help bring environments to life within the vision of the game design
- Proven problem-solving / prototyping ability
- Able to effectively collaborate with game designers and programmers
- Understanding of the visual style of Blizzard games and a passion to push it to the next level
- Have shipped AAA PC or console titles as an environment artist
- A passion for video games
What else could push you over the edge and make you the perfect candidate?
- Experience in creating visual designs that support gameplay oriented goals
- Skill in one or more related disciplines – illustration, animation, visual effects, or technical art
- Experience in working with outsource art studios and other external vendors
- Experience and a passion for stylized, handcrafted art style
- Generalist environment art abilities – Eg: experience with lighting, organics, architecture, animation
- Good technical chops and the ability to quickly master new pipelines and tools
Submission / Portfolio requirements
- Cover Letter is required
- Portfolio, and / or reel demonstrating relevant artistic skills required
- Only online artwork submissions will be accepted (e.g. website, blog or online album)
- Must be willing to complete an art test if requested to do so
Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. and its affiliated companies is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.