There’s no job in art quite like a concept artist. Whole worlds are born with the stroke of a brush…a moody painting of a harsh alien landscape, the intricate detail of scrollwork on a piece of armor, or even a simple pencil sketch of a funny little critter. The tiniest idea can take root and grow into an entire universe for players to explore. As a concept artist working on Blizzard’s next great game, your fearless imagination and bold talent will translate dreams to reality and lay the foundation we build upon.
Using the skills of both artist and designer to their fullest potential, a concept artist lives on the front line of development. You’ll work closely with level designers and environment artists to imagine new lands into existence; just as your knowledge of anatomy and expression will be pushed to new heights designing the heroes, villains, and the creatures between to inhabit this all-new world.
In short, you’ll be part of a close-knit, collaborative community of artists, engineers and designers whose goal isn’t just painting a pretty picture but rather to make a truly immersive game experience.
Nobody values the contributions of a concept artist like we do. If you’re ready to embrace the challenge of helping realize the next epic Blizzard title, we want to hear from you!
- Create character concepts including character sheets, movement studies, and detailed breakouts for equipment and weapons.
- Develop environmental concepts including mood paintings, architectural drawings, and prop concepts.
- Iterate on game assets with production artists via paint overs, studies, and group critiques.
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience creating concept artwork for animation, film, or videogames
- Experience with digital content creation tools, such as Photoshop, Painter, etc.
- An exceptional understanding of human and creature anatomy and a keen eye towards form, shape, structure, and silhouette in regards to illustration and design
- Superior eye for light, value, composition, color, staging, and detail in environmental design
- Able to carry an idea from the conceptual phase to the finished illustration and an understanding of translating these ideas to real-time game environments
- Understanding of the distinctive Blizzard Entertainment visual style and a passion to push it to the next level
- A passion for video games
- Experience in creating visual designs that support gameplay oriented goals
- Working knowledge 3D art techniques and software packages, such as Maya, 3Ds Max, Zbrush, or Mudbox
- Strong foundation in the traditional arts, including but not limited to figure drawing, landscape painting, and illustration
- Have shipped an AAA PC or console title as a concept artist
Submission / Portfolio requirements
- Cover Letter is required
- Portfolio, and / or reel demonstrating relevant artistic skills required
- Only online artwork submissions will be accepted (e.g. website, blog or online album)
- Must be willing to complete an art test if requested to do so
Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. and its affiliated companies is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.