As a player, there’s nothing like exploring a new world for the first time. That sense of awe and wonder can be found in literally anything; brilliant shafts of light pouring through darkened clouds – a forest of twisted and arthritic trees, seemingly frozen in mid-reach – the way the ground shifts under you as a behemoth alien creature lumbers past. Or how about the very-real adrenaline that courses through a combatant’s veins as they charge headlong into an enemy encampment, explosions peppering the landscape with dust and debris? There’s an endless amount of gaming moments like these, and none of them would be possible without having a rock-solid foundation upon which to build. And that’s where you come in.
As lead technical artist for Blizzard’s next epic title, you will be the one to build this foundation. You’ll be instrumental in developing the processes, tools, and pipeline from which innumerable epic adventures will spring forth.
A good lead technical artist must be able to be many things to many people. You must be an artist, collaborating closely with the art director to define the vision for art technology, pipeline, and process. You’re also a methodical detective, shining a light on technical challenges within the tools and game engine. And once those challenges are identified, you must be the facilitator that brings groups together to solve them. Of course, being a lead means being a leader, inspiring and guiding some of the most talented and passionate artists in the industry.
Are you up for the challenge of helping shape Blizzard’s next great gaming experience? If so, then we want YOU!
- Work closely with art director / leads to drive and evangelize the artistic vision of the game.
- Oversee the development of art pipelines including proprietary tools, software plug-ins, and in game technology.
- Assist in planning asset production in collaboration with the FX, concept, character, and level teams.
- Level up your team’s skills through mentorship of skills, process, and technical / artistic techniques.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in game development serving in a technical art role
- Experienced with creating assets within next generation art pipelines including; rigging, scripting, shader development, lighting, and visual effects
- Familiar with at least one development language such as mel, python, c#, or c++
- Effectively collaborate with game designers, artists, and engineers to ensure that technical art vision is serving project needs
- Able to contribute to, interpret, and clearly communicate art direction to a team
- Self-motivation, good communication skills, and a great team-player attitude
- Experience managing, scheduling, critiquing, and administering performance reviews for a team of artists
- Proven ability to mentor effectively
- Proven problem-solving / prototyping ability
- Able to work creatively as part of a large or small group
- Understanding of the visual style of Blizzard games and a passion to push it to the next level
- Have shipped AAA PC or console titles in a lead or management role
- A passion for video games
- Mastery in one or more technical skills including; FX / particle animation, lighting, character rigging, tools scripting, or shader development
- Skill in one or more related disciplines – illustration, animation, visual effects, or modeling
Submission / Portfolio requirements
- Cover Letter is required
- Portfolio, and / or reel demonstrating relevant artistic skills required
- Only online artwork submissions will be accepted (e.g. website, blog, or online album)
- Must be willing to complete an art test if requested to do so
Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. and its affiliated companies is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.