Vicarious Visions, developer of numerous award winning games, including Skylanders Swap Force, Skylanders Spyro Adventure, Guitar Hero: On Tour, Tony Hawk, and Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 is seeking a passionate, motivated, and experienced Software Engineer to join our in house tools team. Experience in video game development is desired but qualified candidates with a passion for tools application development will find we offer an engaging opportunity to enter the video games business.
Your responsibilities will include:
A Tools Software Engineer will contribute to the creation, improvement, maintenance and usability assessment of an extensive set of internal software applications used by the designers, artists and software engineers to create our games. The tools are used for tasks such as world building, entity placement, visual effects generation, UI generation and data validation. The continuing evolution and specialization of our tools provides an ongoing competitive advantage for Vicarious Visions.
· Create, maintain and improve content development tools used across multiple game projects.
· Collaborate closely and effectively with artists, designers and game programmers on the requirements and design of software tools.
· Design, implement, debug and optimize software primarily in C# and C++.
· Lead and/or participate in design and code reviews.
· Investigate and adopt new game technologies, tools and systems.
· Develop and apply group standards and best practices.
· Document completed designs, tools, and code.
· Work closely with and support tool users in person.
· Work in conjunction with senior staff for complex design and development efforts but otherwise be largely self-directed.
The skills & experience we’re looking for:
· Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related discipline or equivalent experience.
· At least 3-5 years professional experience developing applications through all phases of the product lifecycle.
· Relevant software tool development experience. Video Game industry experience is not required.
· Strong OO design and development experience in C#/.NET. Experience in C/C++ or other languages is a plus.
· Experience creating GUI applications with focus on usability. Experience with User Centered Design.
· Strong communication skills, ability to collaborate closely with in-house users of the tools, discover and provide what they need.
· Knowledge of 3ds Max or Maya and common scripting languages is a plus but not required.
· Windowing toolkits such as WPF, WinForms are a plus
Applicants may be asked to provide a coding sample and/or take a short technical test..