Position: Technical Director
The Technical Director will be responsible for the design and architecture, development, integration and ongoing support of core technologies used in Trendy’s online games. The Technical Director will also be responsible for the management of a medium sized engineering team, coordinating with other leaders in the organization on setting priorities, scheduling development, identifying and mitigating technical risks, and working directly with game development teams in support of technologies developed by the Chief Technology Officer.
- Work with other members of the technical team to identify technical needs, opportunities, and risks; additionally the Technical Director will work closely with other production leaders in setting priorities, schedules, and technical requirements.
- Manage direct reports within Trendy’s technical team and act as a team lead for a medium sized team of software programmers.
- Analyze pipelines, processes, technical budgets, risks, technical and process standards, and technical staff performance and staffing needs and provide useful, actionable feedback and plans to address problems and capitalize on opportunities.
- Spearhead the design, architecture, documentation, implementation and maintenance of software systems developed and supported by Trendy’s technical team.
- Produce, review and update technical design documentation.
- Participate in the hiring process for technical positions that may or may not fall into the prevue of the technical team. This includes designing and implementing hiring processes for technical positions within the technical team, acting as hiring manager when appropriate and managing the participation of other technical staff in the hiring process.
- This position will require the TD to split their time between hands-on development, higher-level engineering (architecting, creating and reviewing Technical Design documents, etc.) as well as day-to-day management of the technical team. This is not a pure programming job, nor is it a pure managerial job. The successful TD will know how to split his or her time depending on the needs of the company at any given time.
Manage direct reports within Trendy’s technical team.
- Computer Science degree, Information Science degree, or equivalent industry experience
- Broad range of experience across multiple platforms including Windows, OSX, Linux, iOS, Android, Xbox, and Playstation
- Extensive knowledge of software development best practices, patterns and anti-patterns
- At least five years of C++ programming experience in the games industry
- At least one shipped multiplayer action title in a technical leadership role
- Experience working within the Unreal Engine 3 (C++ and UnrealScript) codebase
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Experience establishing software development best practices including but not limited to: coding standards, code reviews, testing (including automated tests and code coverage), definition of done, reducing direct dependencies in code (e.g. using interface-based designs)
- Game development experience is strongly preferred. We’d love to see three or more shipped titles on your resume.
- Familiarity with video games, both as a player and developer, and especially online multiplayer games, is a plus. Bonus points for playing Trendy’s products.
- Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.