Wargaming Austin is looking for a Technical Director for its nascent Central Technology Group. The Technical Director will be responsible for the design and architecture, development, integration and ongoing support of core technologies used in Wargaming’s stable of online games. The Technical Director will also be responsible for the management of a medium sized engineering team, coordinating with other leaders in the organization on setting priorities, scheduling development, identifying and mitigating technical risks, and working directly with game development teams in support of technologies developed by the Central Technology Group.
- Work with other members of the Central Technology Group and with technical leaders in other Wargaming studios to identify technical needs, opportunities, and risks; additionally the Technical Director will work closely with other technical leaders in setting priorities, schedules, and technical requirements.
- Manage direct reports within Wargaming’s CTG and act as a team lead for a medium sized team of software engineers.
- Analyze pipelines, processes, technical budgets, risks, technical and process standards, and engineering staff performance and staffing needs and provide useful, actionable feedback and plans to address problems and capitalize on opportunities.
- Spearhead the design, architecture, documentation, implementation and maintenance of software systems developed and supported by Wargaming’s Central Technology Group.
- Produce, review and update technical design documentation.
- Work closely with digital librarians and Technical Writers to document technologies developed and supported by the Central Technology Group, so that remote development teams can understand and utilize the products of CTG’s efforts.
- Participate in the hiring process for technical positions that may or may not fall into the prevue of the Central Technology Group. This includes designing and implementing hiring processes for technical positions within the CTG, acting as hiring manager when appropriate and managing the participation of other technical staff in the hiring process.
- This position will require the TD to split his or her time between hands-on development, higher-level engineering (architecting, creating and reviewing Technical Design documents, etc.) as well as day-to-day management of an engineering team. This is not a pure programming job, nor is it a pure managerial job. The successful TD will know how to split his or her time depending on the needs of the company at any given time.
- Computer Science degree, Information Science degree, or equivalent industry experience.
- An advanced knowledge of C++.
- 8+ years as a software engineer with 4+ years of experience leading a software development team, either as a lead engineer, technical director, or equivalent.
- Very strong leadership, communication, interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Being highly proficient with Python and having experience developing for Linux, Windows, Mac and the major gaming consoles.
- Familiarity with a host of game engineering technologies including rendering, physics, memory management, AI, gameplay systems, game audio systems, optimization techniques, tools development, debugging techniques, localization, user-interface, animation systems, SaS development, distributed systems, multithreading development and debugging, databases (specifically MySQL), client-server systems, networking as well as 3rd party tools and technologies.
- Game development experience is strongly preferred. We’d love to see three or more shipped titles on your resume.
- Familiarity with video games, both as a player and developer, and especially online multiplayer games, is a plus. Bonus points for playing Wargaming’s products.
This position reports to Senior Vice President of Engineering. Occasional national and international travel is required.