As a systems engineer working on the Battle.net infrastructure, your role will be to help develop and support a fast, available and scalable environment powering Blizzard Entertainment's online platform. The scope of the systems engineer's position is from the system to the service level; to work closely with the internal development teams to provide a reliable process to deliver at massive scale.
The ideal candidate for this position would be someone with deep understanding of systems architecture, tempered with knowledge of how applications interact with systems at scale. They will be comfortable with investigation into how the software performs, network traffic flows and service daemons interact with one another. Blizzard Entertainment is particularly interested in systems engineers familiar with large scale operations; exposure to networking technologies and Linux system engineering are strong pluses.
- Develop monitoring and automation tools to improve the efficiency of operations and development teams.
- Maintain and grow a production environment in a way that makes the system increasingly maintainable.
- Participate in service capacity planning and demand forecasting, software performance analysis, and system tuning.
- Respond to and resolve emergent service problems by debugging systems and services.
- Interface with development and operations teams to perform software and systems analysis.
- Able to handle on-call duties as well as out-of-band requests.
- A minimum of 5 years’ relevant work experience, including with Unix / Linux systems (specifically RedHat)
- Familiar with an administrative language such as Python, Lua, or Shell
- A minimum of 1 year C / C++ experience
- Hands-on expertise in analyzing and troubleshooting large-scale distributed systems
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills
- A degree in computer science, or a related field
- Comfortable with debugging tools like gdb or strace
- Open Source development experience
- Virtualization experience
- Networking experience (knowledge of low-level protocols and high-level protocols)
- Cognizant of DevOps practices and principles
- Aptitude to learn new domains quickly
- A passion for both video games and technology