Our Bend, Oregon studio is looking for a Senior Staff Environment Artist! In this role you will:
Contribute to the artistic vision and development of AAA products with a specialized focus on creating environment/level assets utilizing a combination of traditional fine art and technical art skills. Responsibilities includes creating and painting environment 2D texture maps, 3D modeling/sculpting, material setup/UV layout, shader setup and lighting according to defined quality standards, artistic styles, conceptual designs, development pipelines, technical parameters and production goals. Must poses the ability to collaborate at a high level with a wide-range of development team members outside of direct discipline such as Directors, Designers, Technical Artists, Artist, and Programmers to achieve the highest artistic quality as they relate to the game design and within technological considerations.
Principle Duties / Responsibilities:
- Conceptualize and create a plan for building a gameplay area based on written design descriptions and concept art. Responsible for combining disparate parts and pieces into a visually unified world, including organic and inorganic terrain, objects, architectural elements, particles, sky and vista elements, lighting, and gameplay elements. Including the use of artwork from other artists, providing feedback and training where necessary to obtain the highest quality possible
- Create high quality color, normal, specular texture maps, and shaders that follow established direction, engine guidelines, and parameters when needed
- Use real-time and baked lighting to enhance the look and playability of the environments.
- Contribute to the development of the artistic techniques and processes utilized to define and achieve a product’s visual style or encourage artistic evolution within the studio. This entails expanding methods to improve the production pipeline, tools, processes, and visual integrity.
- Independently undertakes research and information gathering prior to the commencement of a new task to ensure game design needs, reference materials, artistic direction, and technological considerations are effectively managed to meet the defined goals.
- Actively advances skill set, abilities and then shares this knowledge by keeping aware of industry trends and techniques, evaluating competitive products, learning new software packages and traditional art methods.
- Possess strong time management and prioritization skills. This entails collaborating with the Production group to manage responsibilities to ensure set goals will be met from a scope, schedule, and artistic perspective.
- May provides input into the artistic goals and vision through all phases of the game development cycle from pre-production through final product release. This entails ensuring environment/level assets are of the highest artistic quality and uphold the integrity of the games design and artistic vision of the game as a whole.
- May serve as an artistic resource for other areas of production or studio art needs. This includes, but is not limited to conducting general research, developing cutting-edge techniques, and testing new systems or tools. Providing training, transmitting industry related information and conveying concerns in a constructive way by providing realistic solutions to those concerns.
- May also have a leadership role within the art team. This entails contributing to schedule management needs, providing guidance to support the diplomatic resolution of complex problems, providing input on team performance reviews, and facilitating career coaching.
Required Knowledge / Skills:
- Highly proficient in the use of 3D modeling software to create and texture optimized props and other environment assets within the defined specs and guidelines. This requires mastery of 3D software and the ability to analyze photo source or concept art and turn 2D images into 3D objects. Z-Brush/Mud box experience desirable.
- Proficient in the use of Photoshop to manipulate photo source and create realistic, tillable, textures that match the artistic style of the defined art direction. This requires good 2D art skills like composition, drawing, sketching, and color theory.
- Strong reading and comprehension skills to have complete understanding of complex process documents, design documents, and written assignments. The ability to communicate effectively either individually with team members, or within group settings. The ability to write short reports and process documents when needed
- Strong time management skills, with the ability to break down tasks and assignments and prioritize them into workable pieces on a daily, weekly, and project length basis. Work independently and conscientiously with minimal supervision. Able to manage long-term projects, creating and following a comprehensive schedule for the creation of complex assets such as game levels, animation systems, character systems, etc. Able to complete tasks and assignments quickly with a limited need for iterative reworking.
- Strong data management skills, with the ability to manage and track large amounts of data as they go through the art pipeline, with minute attention to naming conventions, directory structures, and other processes. Able to write up short, clear documents that explain various art processes.
- Able to supervise, train, tutor, and mentor one or more artists. Able to help plan and schedule their assignments, track their work to completion, help assess their needs for growth and learning. Able to document, report, and help review their work when needed.
Qualifications Required Experience / Education:
Preferred Experience / Education:
- At least 5 years of game art production or film related experience
- One or two years of post-high school education or training
- 6 to 10 years of game art production with credit on several shipped AAA titles.
- An advanced degree or professional certification requiring formal training (i.e., MBA, MFA, MA, MS)
Bend Studio the creators of Sony’s flagship Vita title Uncharted Golden Abyss is currently looking for the entertainment industries top Artistic talent to help us create AAA content for Sony's powerful new hardware. We just scratched the surface on what the Vita can do with Uncharted Golden Abyss and expect to push the platform even further with our future projects. Candidates must be passionate about their work and thrive in small-team environments where everyone inspires and pushes everyone else to create great games.
Founded in 1994, Bend Studio is a team of over 40 veteran engineers, artists, designers, and support staff who are dedicated to excellence and innovation. We have the close-knit environment and camaraderie of a small studio, where everyone knows everyone, while at the same time enjoying the stability and security provided by being part of Sony Computer Entertainment America. We are dedicated to producing only AAA award-winning games that showcase the power of current and future game consoles from Sony Computer Entertainment.
For additional information on Bend Studios and it’s beautiful location in the resort down of Bend Oregon check out our website at http://www.bendstudio.com/