Sony Santa Monica is looking for a Senior Level Designer for an unannounced title.
- Design and implement gameplay
- Level design from concept to implementation to shippable completion
- Entity scripting and functionality
- AI layout and all things gameplay-related
- As needed, act as liaison between Lead and Junior Designers, in addition to driving or participating in any needed communication with other disciplines
- Work within the set standard for all level asset creation within the production path as it relates to design, art and otherwise.
- Must comprehend a working knowledge of the game production pipeline in order to communicate effectively with other team members.
- Working knowledge of design systems in order to build levels in 3D space, place enemies
- Fully understand the relationship between gameplay elements within the level and the overall game and all the ways the player can respond to each gameplay element
- Actively participate in and/or lead required production related meetings as needed
- Attend and/or lead design-specific discussions concerning design reviews and design issues
- Collaborate with Design Director, Leads and Design Manager during the product development cycle about creative and/or production related topics
- Contribute, as needed, in all educational meetings for in-house staff on new technical issues and tools dealing with all design aspects – level building, entities, cameras
- Communicate thoroughly to insure good working relationships with the other Designers, Design Director, Game Director, Design Manager, Art Director, Lead Artist, Lead Programmer, Lead Animator, etc.
- Drive and follow the progress of owned areas of the game
- Possess comprehensive knowledge of Maya, engine tools and processes, or other 3D world building software
- Fundamental knowledge of game design and ability to implement 3D environment building, entities, rough cameras, creating gameplay scenarios, using design system tools as needed
Design any element in game including:
- navigation/platforming challenges
- building 3D environments
- modeling and texturing
- designing and implementing fun/challenging AI layouts
- scripting entities
- placing rough cameras, including animated and entity-triggered cameras
- sound implementation
- level warping and gameflow
- cinematic placement and triggering
Required Experience / Education:
5 plus years in game development, with at least 3 year in Level Design specific role.
Preferred Experience / Education:
5 plus years in game development, with at least 3 years in Level Design specific role.
About Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA) is home to the PlayStation(R) family of products, including the PlayStation(R)3 (PS3 TM), PlayStation(R) Vita (PS Vita), PlayStation(R) Mobile and PlayStation(R)Network. Founded in 1994, SCEA has grown into a leading global computer entertainment brand and continues to redefine interactive consumer entertainment. Since the original PlayStation(R) first revolutionized the world of gaming, SCEA has repeatedly set the benchmark for innovation in home and portable entertainment through amazing gameplay experiences that inspire people across the world. Based in Foster City, CA, SCEA serves as headquarters for all North American operations and employs over 2,104 people in offices located in Foster City, CA, San Diego, CA, Santa Monica, CA and Bend, OR.
It is SCEA's policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. SCEA does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, marital status, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, national origin, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law. SCEA also makes reasonable accommodations for disabled applicants and employees.