Talk about environment art! According to Wikipedia- petroglyphs at Winnemucca Lake in Nevada are dated to at least 10,500 years ago, making them the oldest petroglyphs ever found in North America. Now that is staying power!! Insomniac Games is looking for a Senior Environment Artist, who can maintain established quality and artistic consistency of environment art. We are searching for that artist to set an example to the production team by the creation of art assets and professional conduct, implement new production methods to improve performance and efficiency, and act as a liaison with the tools department. You will also be called upon to build environment art assets. Phew! It’s a tall order- but we know the right person is out there.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
• Maintains consistent aesthetic and technical quality in all environments
• Maintains consistent style under the direction of the Art Director and Lead Environment Artist
• Works closely with level designers to lay out levels that work for design and gameplay and follow the aesthetic and technical guidelines set by the Lead. Levels must also be laid out with scope control in mind so deadlines can be met.
• Works closely with the tools department to implement new production methods
• Participates in the planning of project environments
• May be called upon to work on tool proposals/beta testing
• Assist with the training of environment art team members and assist with problem solving for new technology.
• May schedule and guide a small team of environment artists.
• Other duties may be assigned
Responsible for overseeing and/or creating the following environment art components:
• Design roughs, visual prototype levels and technology test levels
• Low detail (layout) geometry, medium detail (asset) geometry, high detail (normal map generation), collision geometry and LOD's
• UV setups. texture maps, materials and material graphs
• Breakables and interactive objects
• Instance placement and organization with an emphasis on modular construction
• Zone/Region setup and implementation
Education and/or Experience:
• Bachelor's degree (B.A.) from a four-year college or university; or five to seven years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Expert understanding of Maya (or Max), Photoshop, Mudbox, Z-brush or equivalent.
• Expert understanding of generating normal maps from high poly models.
• Advanced understanding of node based shader networks.
• Advanced understanding of Insomniac proprietary level editor or equivalent, and Perforce.
Other Skills: Excellent foundations skills, including composition, design, and color theory. Strong traditional painting skills in both stylized and photorealistic styles. Ability to meet deadlines under tight schedules. Willingness to receive direction and work closely with a team. Must play games or understand the goal of a level design.
If this sounds like you, then we would like to hear from you! Please use the link below and apply directly to the position. Thanks!