Come join the award winning team that developed God of War! Sony Santa Monica Studio is looking for a senior concept artist to help drive the visual development of a critical project from early stage exploration through to final release. You will work closely with the creative director and art director in defining the visual language that is essential to defining and driving a game production. You will take ownership over visual development resources as well as collaborating with a wide range of development team members in producing industry leading content.
Responsibilities include creating character and environment based conceptual designs using principles of color, form, perspective, composition, lighting, and graphic design. These designs should align with the defined quality standards, artistic style, and technical parameters set by the art director.
- Is a key contributor to the development of the artistic techniques and processes utilized to define and achieve a product’s visual style or encourage artistic evolution within the studio.
- Maintains the artistic goals with the Art Director and for the Game Director and manages the vision through all phases of the game development cycle from pre-production through final product release. This entails ensuring visual development assets are of the highest artistic quality and uphold the integrity of the games design and artistic vision of the game as a whole.
- Shows initiative by independently undertaking research and information gathering prior to the commencement of a new task to ensure game design needs, reference materials, artistic direction and technological considerations are effectively managed to meet defined goals.
- Capable of managing a wide-range of unusually complex and sensitive artistic development issues by providing innovative solutions for both artists as well as other team members.
- Actively advances skill set and then shares this knowledge with the visual development team. This entails keeping aware of industry trends and techniques, evaluating competitive products, learning new software packages and traditional art methods.
- Possess strong time management and prioritization skills to ensure set goals will be met from a scope, schedule or artistic perspective.
- May serve as an artistic resource for overall product or as a studio resource. This includes, but is not limited to conducting general research, developing cutting-edge techniques or testing new systems and tools.
- May represent the studio in outside art related discussions where so required.
- Senior or Leadership role experience across at least one major project.
- Minimum 5-7 years industry experience or related experience.
- B.A. in fine arts or relevant curriculum or Equivalent skillset.
- Extensive traditional fine art skills, training and production experience (illustration, painting, human anatomy, organic forms, color theory, perspective, 2D & 3D design.)
- Highly proficient in the use of Photoshop/Painter as well as traditional painting/rendering techniques. Understanding of the fundamentals of 3D packages a plus.
- Knowledgeable about video game or entertainment product development including, but not limited to workflow, tools, limits of technology, matte painting, color keys, character turnarounds, story board, marketing material, graphic design, HUD/UI design experience desirable.
- Current or next-gen video game platform experience required. Two or more published projects highly desireable.
- Excellent communication, organizational, time management and interpersonal skills.