Bend Studio the creators of Sony’s flagship Vita title Uncharted Golden Abyss is currently looking for the entertainment industries top Artistic talent to help us create AAA content for Sony's powerful new hardware. We just scratched the surface on what the Vita can do with Uncharted Golden Abyss and expect to push the platform even further with our future projects. Candidates must be passionate about their work and thrive in small-team environments where everyone inspires and pushes everyone else to create great games. Founded in 1994, Bend Studio is a team of over 40 veteran engineers, artists, designers, and support staff who are dedicated to excellence and innovation. We have the close-knit environment and camaraderie of a small studio, where everyone knows everyone, while at the same time enjoying the stability and security provided by being part of Sony Computer Entertainment America. We are dedicated to producing only AAA award-winning games that showcase the power of current and future game consoles from Sony Computer Entertainment. For additional information on Bend Studios and it’s beautiful location in the resort down of Bend Oregon check out our website at http://www.bendstudio.com/
The Bend Studio is looking for a Senior Staff Character Shader Texture Artist to contribute to the artistic vision and development of AAA products with a specialized focus on creating character texture maps and shaders utilizing a combination of traditional fine art and technical art skills. Responsibilities includes creating and painting 2D texture maps, sculpting height maps, physical material setup, UV layouts, and shader setup according to defined quality standards, artistic styles, development pipelines, and technical parameters. Must poses the ability to collaborate at a high level with a wide-range of development team members outside of direct discipline such as Directors, Technical Artists, 3D Artists, and Programmers to achieve the highest artistic quality as they relate to the game design and within technological considerations.
- Conceptualize and create a plan for building character textures sets based on written design descriptions and concept art. Responsible for combining disparate articles of clothing and character parts into a visually unified whole.
- Create high quality color, normal, height, gloss, and specular texture maps, using shaders that follow established directions, engine guidelines, and parameters.
- Contribute to the development of the artistic techniques and processes utilized to define and achieve a product’s visual style and encourage artistic evolution within the studio. This entails expanding methods to improve the production pipelines, tools, processes, and visual integrity.
- Independently undertakes research and information gathering prior to the commencement of a new task to ensure game design needs, reference materials, artistic direction, and technological considerations are effectively managed to meet the defined goals.
- Actively advances skill set, abilities and then shares this knowledge by keeping aware of industry trends and techniques, evaluating competitive products, learning new software packages and traditional art methods.
- Possess strong time management and prioritization skills. This entails collaborating with the production group to manage responsibilities to ensure set goals will be met from a scope, schedule, and artistic perspective.
- May provides input into the artistic goals and vision through all phases of the game development cycle from pre-production through final product release. This entails ensuring texture assets are of the highest artistic quality and uphold the integrity of the games design and artistic vision of the game as a whole.
- May serve as an artistic resource for other areas of production or studio art needs. This includes, but is not limited to conducting general research, developing cutting-edge techniques, and testing new systems or tools. Providing training, transmitting industry related information and conveying concerns in a constructive way by providing realistic solutions to those concerns.
- May also have a leadership role within the art team. This entails contributing to schedule management needs, providing guidance to support the diplomatic resolution of complex problems, providing input on team performance reviews, and facilitating career coaching.
Required Experience / Education:
- Highly proficient in the use of Photoshop to manipulate photo source and create realistic, tillable, textures that match the artistic style of the defined art direction. This requires mastery of 2D art skills like composition, drawing, painting, and color theory. The ability to analyze photo source or concept art and turn them into real-time render able assets.
- Proficient in the use of 3D modeling software to texture models within the defined specs and guidelines. This requires extensive knowledge of UV tools and methods.
- Proficient in the use of Z-Brush or Mud box to create normal maps, heights maps and displacement maps to achieve the desired visual depth.
- Experience with physically based shader texture sets and pipelines.
- Strong reading and comprehension skills to have a complete understanding of complex process documents, design documents, and written assignments. The ability to communicate complex processes effectively either individually with team members, or within group settings. The ability to write short reports and process documents when needed in a clear and concise manner.
- Strong time management skills, with the ability to break down tasks and assignments and prioritize them into workable pieces on a daily, weekly, and project length basis. Works independently and conscientiously with minimal supervision. Able to manage long-term projects, creating and following a comprehensive schedule for the creation of complex assets for game levels, and other game related assets. Able to complete tasks and assignments quickly with limited need for revision rework.
- Strong data management skills, with the ability to manage and track large amounts of data as they go through the art pipeline with attention to naming conventions, directory structures, and other processes.
- Able to train, tutor, and mentor multiple artists, help assess their needs for growth and learning, able to document, report, and help review their work when needed.
- Extensive portfolio with examples of current hands-on work, including shaders, textures, and texture mapped assets and fully rendered characters.
Preferred Experience / Education:
- At least 5 years of game art production or film related experience
- One or two years of post-high school education or training
- 6-10 years of game art production with credit on several shipped AAA titles.
- An advanced degree or professional certification requiring formal training (i.e., MBA, MFA, MA, MS)
Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC (SCEA) is responsible for keeping PlayStation^® growing and thriving in the United States, Canada and Latin America. Based in Foster City, California, SCEA serves as headquarters for all North American operations and is a wholly owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation of America Inc.
It is SCEA's policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. SCEA does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion,
gender, gender identity, marital status, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, national origin, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law. SCEA also makes reasonable accommodations for disabled applicants and employees.