The Senior Game Software Engineer is a highly motivated and creative individual who is passionate about making games. A Senior Game Software Engineer performs a variety of engineering tasks as part of a team to develop the studio’s games or their supporting infrastructure, focusing primarily on programming. Heavy interaction with designers, animators, artists and other engineers is required on a regular basis. Leadership of teams, sub-teams or crews is often required.
- Work with engineering team to create high quality software that meets both functional and non-functional requirements.
- Capable of leading at least small teams, organizing and prioritizing work for several individuals.
- Shares opinions about major technical decisions that drive the engineering team and the project.
- Participates or leads architecture and design of major systems.
- Participates in code reviews.
- Participates in the hiring process, conducting interviews and providing feedback.
- Work with the other departments to define and reach common goals, focusing on engineering efforts within teams or crews.
- Facilitate communications between engineering and other departments.
- Meet project deadlines and milestones as set by the studio.
- Typically spends about 80% of the time working directly in code (designing and developing new code, updating or maintaining existing code, and fixing bugs).
- Remaining time is spent mentoring less experienced engineers, helping to define short-term and mid-term schedules and milestones, participating in code reviews and interviews, and leading small to medium sized teams.
- Interacts with other disciplines on a regular basis.
Knowledge, skills & ability requirements
- Knowledge: Very strong knowledge of C++. Experience with C# and Xcode preferred. Experience with scripting languages required preferred. Excellent debugging skills and solid software design skills. Has a working knowledge of most disciplines (e.g. AI, animation, rendering, UI, networking, etc), and expertise in at least one discipline.
- Competencies: Excellent oral and written communication skills; excellent organization and efficient time management skills are required. Proven ability to work effectively on large teams in a deadline-driven environment.
- Education: Bachelor degree in Computer Science is preferred.
- Experience: Minimum 5 years game industry experience. At least 2 shipped titles preferred. Leadership experience with at least small teams preferred.
Cambridge, MA. This is an on site position.
Send resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please visit our web site to see our full list of job openings.