We are looking for a Senior Game Programmer to architect and implement game engine code systems that are used for the creation and development of a game application. This will involve writing game code systems for the use of the art and/or design teams for handling the creative aspects of game-play development. Some tools development is occasionally required for handling data needed by the game engine.
Principle Duties / Responsibilities: (Summary list of typical duties and responsibilities of the job / essential functions)
- Is a key contributor to the development of technology, systems and tools that support game design needs. This includes, but is not limited to game logic, character behaviors, state based animations selection, motion systems, scripted mini-games, physics systems, collision systems, rendering, particle effects, entities systems, camera logic, sound support.
- Maintain a thorough knowledge of the games design to manage communication and enable early identification of issues to ensure issues within direct areas of responsibility are strategically managed.
- Collaborates with the production team to develop all aspects of the specified game-play experience from a technical perspective.
- Provides input into the technical design and vision through all phases of the game development cycle from pre-production through final product release. This entails ensuring products are of the highest technical quality and uphold the integrity of the games design.
- Maintains a clear understanding of personal task lists and project milestones to ensure set goals will be met from a scope, schedule or game-play perspective.
- Clearly communicating updates and concerns to their manager.
- Manages requests or information needs regarding any aspect of the technical creation process with the appropriate members of the development team.
- Actively maintains skill-set and knowledge base by keeping track of the latest innovations from the industry.
Required Knowledge / Skills: (Lists out the job skills that must be met to perform the position (i.e. Managing subordinates; Knowledge specifications)
- TEAM: Must be able to work effectively with other programmers, artists, and designers in a team environment.
- PROCESS: Must be able to take instruction from their manager and be able to provide insight into a broad range of technical challenges. Must be able to utilize a variety of tools to aid in programming and be able to think beyond the given challenge presented for a potential solution.
- TECHNICAL: Must have a competent knowledge of the programming languages and practices being used on the project. Must possess good problem solving skills and have a working knowledge of 3d Math. Must be able to tackle new programming challenges as presented, such as working on unfamiliar hardware, technologies, or code environments.
- PLANNING/IMPLEMENTATION: Must be a self-starter and be able to follow implementation plans provided by their manager. Must be able to effectively and accurately define and manage their tasks and schedules.
- COMMUNICATION: Excellent communication skills are required to be able to explain programming solutions and ideas. Must be able to adequately provide instruction to non-programming personnel on how to use programmer generated tools and code implementations.
- SPECIALIZATION: Must be able to offer a skill and/or talent toward a specific phase or implementation task during the course of the project. The specialization should reflect an area of the project that offers a competitive edge.
Qualifications: (Lists out the experience, qualifications and education required and preferred)
Required Experience / Education:
- Strong C/C++ experience.
- Strong 3d Math Skills.
- Strong understanding of current data structures, algorithms and methodologies.
- A wide-range of game application and game engine skills (e.g., AI, physics, camera, animation, etc.)
- Minimum 3 years industry experience or related experience.
Preferred Experience / Education:
- Current and next-gen game console experience is desirable (e.g. PS3, PSP, X-box 360 etc.)
- 5 years industry or related experience.
- 1 or more published game titles
- B.S. in computer science, engineering or relevant curriculum