HitPoint is an award-winning game development company located in beautiful Western Massachusetts. Specializing in a wide range of cutting-edge development genres and platforms including social, mobile, and downloadable games, HitPoint has ongoing partnerships with many major publishers including Microsoft, BigFish Games, Disney, and WildTangent and has developed major brand game campaigns for mass market brands including Coke, McDonald’s, Axe Body Spray, and many others. In addition, HitPoint owns and operates 4 hidden-object titles on Facebook.
Based on our proven success in narrative-based puzzle adventure games for Disney, Microsoft, and BigFish Games, HitPoint is embarking on an exciting new and innovative title for a female-focused casual gaming audience. We are looking for a creative and skilled senior game designer to take ownership of the design process, honing the vision and goals of this project down to a consistent, well-communicated, well-maintained series of specifications and design documents to drive the team towards a well-executed product of the highest possible quality.
Vital statistics of the offering
- This is a full-time, benefited position. Benefits include PTO, health & dental coverage, 401k with employer match, long-term/short-term disability, and more.
- The Senior Game designer will report directly to HitPoint’s Creative Director.
- Applicants must be able to work full-time, on-site at our offices in Amherst, MA.
- Above all else, communicate and clarify the vision and specifics of the design for HitPoint’s new title to the development team throughout the production process by any means necessary.
- Work closely with HitPoint’s leadership to establish and document the vision for HitPoint’s new title.
- Responsibility and ownership for the rigorous creation and maintenance of the Game Design Document and accessory design artifacts including specs, written tasks, and wireframes before and during production.
- Continually evolve/improve the product while steadfastly maintaining the vision and goals for the title through regular, iterative review/feedback cycles with key stakeholders.
Required Skills (in order of importance)
- Excellent experience writing specs and tasks for developers.
- Proficient, creative writer and storyteller with commercial experience in narrative-based game design.
- Exceptional user experience design instincts and experience.
- High degree of comfort and ability communicating design visually through wireframes, mockups, presentations, interpretive dance, etc.
- High degree of comfort verbally communicating design, concepts, ideas, etc. to individuals and groups of people.
- Ability to give design feedback with fearless candor and receive the same with open-minded grace.
- Actively pursue up-to-the-minute knowledge of industry-wide trends and innovations in game design especially in terms of how they affect our title.
- Unflinching willingness to put quality ahead of all else during the design and development process.
- Sense of humor, playfulness, and pursuit of wonder…we are making games after all!
- Proficiency writing via a standard document-editing tool: Word, Google Docs, Pages, etc.
- Proficiency with visual communication tools; e.g., Photoshop, Balsamiq, Visio, Powerpoint, pages, etc.
- Experience and comfort with editing game data; e.g., spreadsheets, xml, json, etc.
- Experience and comfort working within task/bug-editing environment; e.g., JIRA, FogBugz, etc.
- Experience and comfort with source control environments; e.g., git, svn, cvs, etc.
- Relevant design experience working on at least 3-5 shipped commercial titles targeting a primarily female/casual focused audience.
- Relevant, professional creative writing experience on multiple commercial products.
- Leadership experience on at least one commercial product managing creative people including designers, writers, and artists.
In order to be considered, please send the following:
- An up-to-date resume which includes a list of shipped games.
- One game design sample. This document will demonstrate your ability to clearly communicate a game design or game features.
- Three creative writing samples
-Three recent professional references (including 1 manager/supervisor) who are able to speak towards your expertise in any/all of the above.