If the idea of working in the nitty-gritty, the lowest levels of the code base excite you, then we want to talk with you. Insomniac Games is looking for several senior engine programmers to work with the Core team to design, add and modify features of both runtime and tools components of the engine. Design, write and modify data and code with a heavy focus on real-time performance and usability. Provide features which can be used in practice to create best-in-class contributions to our games. Write and modify tools that will provide access to engine features. This is game making at its core level.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Design and develop new engine technology for current and future games based on prioritized list of what other departments require
- Contribute innovative and original ideas towards all aspects of game production and development
- Collaborate with others on the team to design and build architectures for new systems, and maintain and improve those of current systems.
- Advise and mentor other programmers (both inside and outside the Engine department)
- Work proactively with Engine Director to identify technical and developmental risks and obstacles and helps generate solutions
- Provide technical leadership in areas of specialization and assist other engineers with technical questions
- Work independently to complete assigned projects with limited supervision
- Implement new functionality in engine.
- Design and implement efficient low-level systems to support higher-level programmers & pipelines
- Rewrite existing systems as directed for increased functionality, reduced memory usage, and increased performance
- Keep current with the technological developments and advancements in the computer game industry
- Revise program for corrections, enhancements, or system environment changes
- Provide technical assistance by responding to inquiries regarding errors, problems, or questions with programs
- Complete processor-specific optimization tasks
- Develop familiarity with hardware details of specific game platforms, their capabilities and performance bottlenecks
- Analyze code performance
- Work with debugging software on specific game platforms.
- Document technology implementation details
- Other duties may be assigned
Education and/or Experience:
- Master's degree (M.A.) or equivalent; or five to seven years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability to comprehend and apply principles of advanced calculus, modern algebra, and advanced statistical theory. Ability to work with concepts such as limits, rings, quadratic and differential equations, and proofs of theorems.
- Advanced C, C++, and assembly/microcode programming (various CPU cores).
- Strong grasp of mathematical concepts, graphics, collision detection, data transformation, database management and advanced programming techniques.
If this sounds like the spot for you – then we want to hear from you! Please use the link and apply directly to the position. Thanks!