Does the element of surprise in a game still make you shout at the monitor as you shake the controller, because a designer, months ago created this moment for you? How about becoming that senior designer who impacts play and the moments that other players remember? If that sounds like a plan – then we are looking for you. Insomniac Games is searching for a Senior Designer that is responsible for overseeing and executing on many aspects of game design including areas like features, mechanics and systems design, level/world design and helping to determine the conventions, processes and practices used to create the final game. Read on if you feel you are up to the task!
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Create clear and concise, visually oriented design materials that explain mechanics, systems and features.
- Design, own, and prototype key game play systems. Collaborate with the Design, Art and Gameplay Programming teams to ensure that goals are achievable within the given time restraints.
- Help create consistent implementation of gameplay by working to define best working practices, processes, standards and conventions, for the design team
- Develop and communicate level/world designs through visually-oriented designs and verbal presentations.
- Build basic level/world layouts using Maya and in-house proprietary tools. Work with the Art team on how to evolve the level/world in order to meet each disciplines goals and deadlines.
- Implement gameplay and game structure through the use of an in-house visual scripting tool.
- Work with the Gameplay Programming team to deliver content that meet each disciplines goals and deadlines.
- Help assess the progress, quality and user friendliness of the project via methods such as usability testing, focus tests and in-house play tests.
- Provide constructive feedback on all aspects of the game to the Lead Designer. Find opportunities to increase the entertainment value of the project and advise on how that information may be implemented, or held for future projects.
- Be a mentor for the design team and assist with their professional growth
Education and/or Experience:
- Fifth year college or university program certificate; or five to seven years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Must have shipped at least two completed titles
- Strong experience with level editing tools (Radiant, Unreal, Hammer, or proprietary editors) and scripting.
- Intermediate knowledge of Maya or other major 3D modeling program.
- Adobe Illustrator experience and KISMET scripting skills are a plus.
Other Skills: Individual must have very good interpersonal skills. Strong communication skills including verbal and written skills are required. Candidate must be able to both give and receive critical feedback regarding various aspects of the project.
We look forward to hearing from you! Please use the link below and apply directly to the position. Thanks!