Cold Iron is a team of passionate game developers located in San Jose, California. We’re a diverse group of veterans with decades of experience developing and launching award-winning MMO and action titles on PC and console.
Now, Cold Iron is seeking an experienced Senior Combat Systems Designer to join our world class team on our next AAA title for consoles and PC! Are you a passionate game developer? Is making an awesome game the thing that gets you out of bed in the morning? We’re sure you’re amazing in your field, but do you see perfecting your skills as the means to making the best experiences possible? Great, we want to hear from you!
You will be responsible for helping design, develop, and tune combat systems with the goal of creating a positive and balanced gameplay experience. This will include designing and balancing enemy and boss combat behaviors, weapons, and encounters, as well as player combat abilities and weapons.
- Working with the project leads to develop moment-to-moment gameplay that works within the overall vision of the product
- Brainstorming, documentation, and implementation of enemy and boss behavior, encounter design, and related combat systems
- Working closely and effectively with others in cross-discipline teams during implementation and iteration
- Gathering playtest data, both quantitative and qualitative, and aid in coming up with solutions to make the combat gameplay as fun as possible
- Qualitatively and quantitatively study and learn from combat systems in action, shooter, or MMORPG games
- Address quantitative and qualitative concerns to combat to improve overall balance and gameplay experience
- 4+ years of industry experience in a systems or combat design role
- Experience designing and implementing combat related systems in games, focusing on gameplay feel, class or role balance, and NPC design
- Hands on experience in game combat AI systems including: behavior trees, aggro systems and decision trees a plus.
- Strong math and analytical skills with a proficiency in Excel
- Professional experience working on current generation games
- Strong sense of level design, scale, and gameplay flow
- Enjoys playing and creating games
- Self-driven with strong communication skills
- Ability to mentor and teach other designers
- Ability to tackle challenges and problem solve with a strong sense of ownership
- Ability to work closely with many other disciplines and be a team player
Would Love to See:
- Experience with multiplayer games and/or shooters
- Experience with Unreal Engine
- Knowledge of non-combat systems such as crafting, rewards, economy, and social systems
- 4-year Bachelor’s degree
- Or equivalent industry experience
Please Note: This is a full-time, on-site position