Nature and Scope
Filament Games is seeking someone to oversee our Quality Assurance team. At Filament, we see QA as a key part of the feedback cycle of our products. This role collaborates with producers and engineers to continually raise the bar on the end user experience. The ideal candidate will have experience in an agile development environment to help us keep QA an integral part of each iteration.
Currently Filament’s QA team consists of two full time associates; however, we have plans to grow that team over the year, as well as add a dedicated customer service representative. The QA Manager will be responsible for managing this team as well as providing general QA oversight on all of our software projects including learning games and web platforms.
Authority, Responsibility & Relationships
● Hiring and firing QA and Service Desk personnel
● Budgets for QA and Service Desk
● Gating releases
● Develop and maintain a test plan for each project.
● Pitch in on helpdesk and testing.
● Ensure every release candidate is thoroughly tested across all supported platforms.
● Ensure all software is tested on a frequent and regular schedule across all supported platforms.
● Ensure customer-facing service desk portal is maintained (Zendesk).
● Ensure usability testing occurs regularly on all projects.
● Present a professional image in all interactions with customers and staff.
● Continuously improve QA and Service Desk processes.
● Maintain process documentation.
● Recruit, train, and schedule QA resources.
● Reports to: CTO
● Direct Reports: Quality Assurance Associates
● Coordinates Activity With: Development Teams, Customer Service Team
Measures of Success
● Customers are not reporting obvious defects with products.
● Defects are being triaged and verified in a timely fashion.
● Coverage of features with test cases is increasing.
● Customers are receiving timely service.
● Teams are functioning smoothly.
● Previous supervisory experience
● At least 3 years of previous software quality assurance experience
● Highly functional understanding of Quality Assurance in an agile development environment
● Familiarity with bug tracking or incident management software
● Ability to analyze projects and determine testing requirements
● Familiarity with end-to-end testing strategies, including automation
● Ability to manage multiple concurrent projects
● Detail oriented
● Diplomatic when giving feedback or criticism
● Experience implementing automated end-to-end test tools
● Experience managing a help desk or customer service team
● Familiarity with Zendesk
● Familiarity with JIRA
● Familiarity with mobile device technology (Android, iOS)
● Familiarity with Windows and Mac operating systems
● Firm grasp of what makes games compelling, interesting, and engaging
● A background in K-12 Education
About Filament Games
Filament Games is a game production studio that exclusively creates learning games. Our core competency is combining best practices in commercial game development with key concepts from the learning sciences. Accordingly, our senior staff is comprised of individuals who are equal parts game and instructional designers. Our “dual literacy” and high standards have earned numerous awards over the past several years.
Benefits: Filament Games is an awesome place to work. Why?
● Our team is a creative, interdisciplinary group of people who are making a difference. Through innovative educational games we’re working to modernize education and revolutionize learning!
● We believe that the best work – and the best life – comes from a health balance between work and play, discipline, and fun. Our office culture reflects this. For example, we have flexible work hours, LAN nights, grill outs, sketch nights, Show-n-Tells, ropes course outings, and the occasional Nerf battle.
● Our stylish, fun and relaxed office is conveniently located on the near-east side of Madison, a lively city with a world-class university, vibrant tech industry and beautiful state capitol. The near-east side is a vibrant, mixed-use neighborhood near Lake Monona that offers affordable housing, eclectic restaurants, music venues and retail stores- all within walking distance of our office. Even better, we’re only two miles from the heart of downtown and the university.
● Filament offers a competitive benefits package, including health/dental/vision care, a Flexible Spending Account, Short & Long term disability, 401k retirement plan, subsidized metro travel, discounted gym membership, discounted parking, supplemental coverage through Aflac, generous paid time off and extended holidays.
To Apply: To apply, please visit our website at http://www.filamentgames.com/jobs and click “READ MORE” next to the position in which you are interested. After reading through the entire job description, click the “APPLY NOW” button at the bottom of the job posting. Include your cover letter, addressed to Connor Hayes, and resume. In your cover letter, please include your responses to the questions below, as well as the contact information for three professional references.
Questions: Please respond to the following questions and include with your cover letter. Each response should be no more than one page in length, typed, or equivalent.
1. What about your past experience makes you a good fit for this role? Where do you want to be in your career five years from now? How does Filament Games fit into your long-term career goals?
2. Consider the process one uses to get a snack from a vending machine. Write instructions describing how to buy a snack from a vending machine. Assume the person for whom you are writing the instructions has the correct change for the snack machine, but has never used a snack machine before.
NOTE: Applications that do not include the requested information will not be reviewed.
Applicants will be considered for positions on the basis of qualifications and ability to perform the job for which they are applying without regard to race, creed, sex, age, residency, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status or physical appearance. Minorities are encouraged to apply.