Online Systems Engineer
The Online Systems Engineer will be responsible for managing all facets of public facing web applications in various hosting environments including load balancing, web server, caching, datastore (rdbms/nosql). He will work closely with development teams to develop, deploy, and support applications in accordance with industry standards and best practices. The ideal candidate will be comfortable in “non-silo’d” environments and have an appetite to research, test, and implement new technologies. Above all else, he should have a heart of humility and come with a readiness to serve.
• Provide application and hardware support for web and gaming infrastructure across multiple sites in addition to ongoing performance tuning & optimization.
• Work with development groups to architect systems solutions for new and existing projects.
• Utilize configuration management and custom scripts to deploy and manage systems.
• Ensure all critical systems and services are properly monitored with relevant alerts enabled.
• Manage backups including ongoing policy refinement.
• Migrate applications off of legacy environments with minimal downtime.
• Ensure CDN configurations are optimized.
• Be able to respond to critical requests during off hours.
• Plan, communicate, and implement patch updates and general off hour work.
• Provide analysis on new technologies to benefit overall efforts.
• Provide expert documentation on all resources.
• Expert level Linux (RHEL/Centos preferred) support experience. Larger scale online environments a plus.
• Advanced knowledge and experience creating and executing shell scripts (bash, python, ruby, etc.).
• Advanced knowledge (maintaining, troubleshooting, tuning) of web architecture and related applications including the following:
o Apache, Nginx – configuration, module mgmt.,caching, header mgmt.
o Memcached – implementation and tuning.
o PHP, Python – debugging and support.
o MySQL – replication, tuning, storage administration.
o Mongo – replication, tuning.
o CDN – cache tuning and configuration.
o SVN, GIT – implementation and deployment in tiered environments.
o Jenkins, Travis – setup and maintenance, understanding of deployment and CI concepts.
o Postfix, DNS – implementation and optimization.
• Advanced knowledge of load balancing administration and tuning – BigIP LTM, Squid, Nginx, Varnish.
• Be able to communicate clearly – verbally and written.
• Ability to work with minimal supervision.
• Bachelors Degree in Computer Science or related field, industry certifications or equivalent.
• Configuration management experience with puppet, chef, or cfengine.
• Experience configuring and maintaining AD/Linux integration (desired).