Network Software Engineer
Vicarious Visions has gained critical acclaim with hit games such as Skylanders Swap Force®, Skylanders Spyro’s Adventure®, Guitar Hero®, and Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2®. Our games repeatedly push technical boundaries to deliver addictive, immersive gameplay and art that brings favorite characters and worlds to life. We are also home to the pioneering Alchemy^® middleware technology and tools that are used to power hit titles across Activision.
A Network Software Engineer is responsible for implementing networking systems including online multi-player, matchmaking, community features and 1^st party technical requirements. This engineer must be able to develop a networking strategy for a game and adapt the underlying game engine to implement it efficiently. This will require solid mastery of fundamental networking behaviors including synchronization, determinism, replication, prediction, latency and bandwidth. Also knowledge of the various networking architectures for games, network protocols and topologies, and 1^st party consoles.
In addition, a Network Software Engineer may, from time to time, be given non-networking assignments as required by project needs.
Your responsibilities will include:
The skills & experience we’re looking
· Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or other relevant discipline or equivalent experience.
· 3-5 years minimum experience
· Very strong C++ skills
· Developed and shipped at least one online multi-player game from start to finish.
· Proficient with game synchronization, lag compensation, UDP/TCP
· Experience implementing network architectures such as client/server or P2P
· Experience with protocol design and optimization
· Ability to analyze, improve and extend a large established code base
· Excellent debugging skills within a networked environment