The Licensing Manager will craft and execute SEGA's licensing strategy to help propel the company to international success as a top global entertainment company. This position will plan and direct SEGA's overall efforts to identify compelling licensing opportunities and arrange the inbound and outbound licensing of proprietary intellectual properties, characters and content, using keen insight into all videogame genres, popular culture and latest technology trends to accurately assess potential opportunities, as well as identify how these opportunities will exist within the larger SEGA portfolio. This position will recommend categories / products to be licensed, direct the development of licensing deals, and personally close agreements. This position sets short-term strategic objectives and provides input into the strategies of the licensing department.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Identify and pursue licensing opportunities, focusing on outbound but including inbound opportunities as well. Pitch, evaluate & negotiate deals.
- Evaluate external technology opportunities and new product concepts; utilizing key criteria such as developer capability, technological edge, commercial potential, gameability, profitability, and fit with the SEGA brand.
- Develop a plan to maximize revenue for licensing programs for each Sega property and to prioritize properties within the Sega portfolio.
- Identify new product categories for license opportunties and identify potential partners to evaluate for each category.
- Comopose Annual Forecast for licensing revenue incorporating new business potential
- Establish and cultivate relationships with key licensing partners as well as technology partner; attend trade shows to establish/nurture relationships with potential licensees.
- Prepare presentations utilizing market data for internal review and approvals.
- Work with SEGA Japan and sister office in Europe to ensure global consistency.
- Work with Legal on contracts and Finance on accounting issues.
- Ensure that licensing deals are carried out according to specifications.
Skills and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required.
- Three years experiences in outbound and inbound licensing.
- Ability to communicate effectively and credibly with different audiences on a broad range of topics: from technical and creative to business and executive.
- Wealth of entertainment/tech industry contacts.
- Clear grasp of video game development and licensing business models in interactive entertainment.
- Keenness to learn new technology in entertainment business
- Experience in negotiating contracts and closing deals.
- Excellent analytical skills with attention to detail.
- Excellent communication skills and comfortable presenting to large groups.
- Computer skills (Excel, Word, PowerPoint).