Solid systems and clever mechanics are the foundation of a great game, but skillfully designed content is what makes it truly exceptional. Level design is critically important and devilishly difficult work, requiring a rare blend of imagination, resourcefulness, discipline, and empathy.
AtomJack is looking for an experienced level designer to complement our systems designer and complete our two-person design team. That person will build the world and encounters for our first game, a 2D adventure in the spirit of Super Metroid and Blaster Master. We need someone ready to tackle the challenge of crafting a whole world and the encounters that populate it. Someone able to take the building blocks of mechanics and turn them into an amazing player experience. Someone with systems design skills when needed, but whose heart is in exquisite, handcrafted content.
- Create the entire game world, shaping the 2D geometry for all areas
- Create encounters, puzzles, events, and bosses, using script to create memorable gameplay and emotional moments
- Plan a multi-layered crisscrossing flow through the environments, in the metroidvania tradition
- Fill the world with secret nooks and hidden paths, supporting creative exploration and sequence breaking
- Collaborate with environment artists on world-building, suggesting themes, structures, and moods to support storytelling
- Work with tools engineers to define and optimize our level design tools and process
- Collaborate on all other aspects of game design, including character abilities, mechanics, narrative, and UX
- Effectively manage time and priorities to deliver content to the team on schedule
- Communicate with the team regularly to accept feedback and share ideas
- Two years of experience and one shipped title as a level designer
- Proficiency with C# (or similar language)
- Passion for creating worlds and shaping player experiences
- Deep familiarity with the metroidvania genre
- Proven ability to collaborate with artists and engineers to create great gameplay
- Experience making 2D platformer content
- Experience making metroidvania-style levels
- Proficiency with art programs such as Maya and Photoshop
- Deep C# or C++ coding experience to aid with prototyping
- Prior Unity experience
This is a full-time, salaried position in our studio office in Seattle, WA.