LEAD VFX ARTIST
Who We Are:
Let’s talk some truth: making games is hard. It’s a collision of art & technology that’s about as predictable as a tornado. There’s no secret formula, no foolproof blueprint – but it certainly helps to have a reason for making games in the first place. “Every Player’s Story is Unique.” At Hangar 13, that’s why we make games. We want to give players the freedom to choose how to overcome challenges and make meaningful decisions that shape the world and characters around them.
Hangar 13 is the newest 2K development studio. We’re focused on creating AAA games for console and PC. The studio is comprised of industry veterans drawn from a diverse range of studios, who have collectively shipped hundreds of titles across a wide variety of genres. We are located just thirty minutes north of San Francisco, and we recently released our first title, Mafia III.
The FX team at Hangar 13 is a highly experienced and skilled group of game and film FX Artists with a passion for creating striking game effects. From gameplay to ambient environment, FX to pyro/fluid and rigid body simulations, we do it all. We’re building AAA, narrative-driven, Open World games utilizing a world-class FX tool suite for our proven, proprietary game engine.
What We Need:
Hangar 13 is looking for an experienced VFX artist to lead our FX team. You must have an ability to push the visual quality of game effects so that they closely match those of blockbuster movies. This position offers a unique opportunity to work closely with the engineering team and push the rendering and FX production capabilities of our engine.
Job Responsibilities Will Include:
- Work closely with the Art Director along with the art, design, animation, and audio Leads to bring life to gameplay and cinematics through compelling and impactful visual FX
- Lead the visual effects team to design, develop, and implement real-time particle effects which use both static and animated 2D/3D elements
- Direct the FX team in creating gameplay, ambient, environmental, and weather effects, as well as FX for spectacle events
- Provide concise feedback to technical art, rendering and tools engineers in order to further our FX tool suite and capabilities
- Prototype effect concepts for gameplay and engine
- Research, analyze, and troubleshoot visual effects for both quality and performance
- Create clear, accurate, and accessible technical writing and documentation regarding FX production and use by other artists
Who We Think Will Be A Great Fit:
- Lead VFX artist with 6-10 years in the games or film industry (at least 2 years of game experience)
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work collaboratively and succeed in a diverse work environment
- Possess a critical eye for timing, animation, and motion of real world objects and visual FX
- Knowledge of visual effect terminology and techniques used in film, games, and animations
- A passion for video games
- Self-motivated, results-oriented, driven to create top quality visuals
- Ability to manage a team, be deadline driven and push the boundaries of next gen technologies
- Lead VFX artist credit on at least one shipped next-gen AAA title
- Relevant 2D and 3D software experience (Photoshop, After Effects, 3D Studio Max, Maya, Houdini)
- Experience with simulation tools such as Houdini for pyro, fluid, and soft/rigid body dynamics
- Experience in a secondary area such as texturing, modeling, skinning, animation, or lighting
- Experience with one or more scripting/programming languages is highly desired
To Apply - http://chp.tbe.taleo.net/chp04/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=GAMES2K&cws=47&rid=1605