LEAD MULTIPLAYER LEVEL DESIGNER
Black Tusk is looking for a Lead Multiplayer Level Designer to drive the design of multiplayer maps for a future experience set in the Gears of War universe. Our ideal candidate possesses a mastery of multiplayer map design and layout, with a deep understanding of the relationship between level geometry and the creation of a balanced multiplayer shooter experience. This individual must demonstrate excellent communication skills with the ability to lead effectively within a large cross-disciplinary team. They must be an experienced leader with the ability to manage and direct the level design team to achieve great results. They should be driven by a passion to build an industry-leading multiplayer experience.
- Oversee the design of engaging multiplayer levels by providing constant direction and feedback to ensure that they meet the quality bar, support the design vision and core mechanics.
- Communicate and coordinate across multiple disciplines to constantly refine the paper-to-ship multiplayer level creation process.
- Establish and maintain consistent metrics and standards across the level design team to ensure the high quality results.
- Champion designed levels through the production process, by iterating, taking feedback, and showcasing the experiences.
- Maintain a positive work environment that is motivating and fosters a strong sense of creativity and passion for excellence.
- Provide leadership, mentorship and performance management for the level design team, developing their skills and career and managing them to excellent results.
- Must have 5+ years of experience in video games with at least two shipped AAA title.
- Extensive experience hands-on developing multiplayer levels for a first-person-shooter or third-person-game. Experience with cover mechanics ideal.
- Mastery of 3D level design tools (UnrealEd, Kismet, Maya, Max, Hammer, or similar 3D editor).
- Demonstrated passion for online multiplayer shooters is required.
- Strong practical understanding of physical and architectural spaces, Bachelor’s degree in Design, Art or Architecture preferred.
- Excellent organization and communication skills are required.
- Excellent leadership and people management skills are required.
- A fine attention to quality and detail, both creatively and technically is required.
- Familiarity with Gears of War gameplay and past Gears of War multiplayer map designs is required.
ABOUT BLACK TUSK
Black Tusk Studios are a Microsoft 1st party development studio located in downtown Vancouver, Canada. We are the official home of the Gears of War franchise and our objective is to forge the future of the IP and push the limits of Microsoft’s entertainment platforms and devices. Our team is comprised of deep creative and technical expertise from our industry’s top shooter and action titles, working cohesively to delight our fan base and shatter expectations of what is possible.