The Internal Studio designs and develops original games for all PlayStation platforms. Games are published globally by SCE Worldwide Studios. The Design Team of the Internal Studio provides design resources for multiple games in production and concepts/prototypes in pre-production.
Overall, the position of Lead Level Designer is expected to partner with the organization to:
Bring an industry-leading knowledge of level design process and practice, along with an ability to systematically support that process and practice across a large team working on AAA console titles.
Provide leadership and direction for a project’s level design team as a whole.
Support and supplement the Game Director and Design Director’s vision for the game.
Break down and communicate the overall level design of the game to the design team, such that it can be executed in a tangible and consistent way.
Analyze, and deconstruct level design in other titles, in a systematic and methodical way.
Partner closely with other design sub-disciplines, ensuring a consistent approach and priorities. This includes audio design, combat design, camera design, technical design and UI design.
Assist in evaluating and assessing potential new design team members, and attracting industry leading design talent.
Mentor and instruct more junior team members.
Mentor senior team members in areas of accountability and leadership.
10. Collaborate with leads and directors of other disciplines, production and management to facilitate project and organizational goals.
11. Establish best practice and process for level design in the studio. Look both internally and externally to identify new techniques and processes, and to refine and codify existing ones.
12. Ensure fluid and consistent communication between the Game Director, Design Director and the level design team.
13. Facilitate knowledge sharing and skills development both across and within design sub-disciplines.
14. Execute any and all other assigned duties to ensure the success of the studio’s projects.
REQUIRED SKILLS – This section outlines skills necessary to perform the function. Examples of skill categories are:
- PEOPLE: Must have the necessary skills to lead and work with a team of designers from different disciplines: concept, story, level/environment, camera, combat, AI/scripting, interface, sound, and playability testing.
- PROCESS: Must have a solid understanding of how all aspects of design production work and how best to accomplish each task.
- TECHNICAL: Should have a thorough understanding of design tools and scripting languages.
- PLANNING/IMPLEMENTATION: Must be extremely organized in the game design workflow from initial concept to final release and post-release support.
- INDUSTRY: Must have several years’ experience in game production and supervised a team. Should have led a design team on at least one “AAA” commercially released videogame.