Come join the award winning team that developed God of War! Sony Santa Monica Studio is looking for a lead concept artist to take the reins of the visual development of a critical project from early stage exploration through to final release. You will work closely with the game director and art director in defining the visual language that is essential to defining and driving a game production. You will take ownership over visual development resources as well as collaborating with a wide range of development team members in producing industry leading content.
- A defining contributor to the development of the artistic techniques and processes utilized to achieve a product’s visual style or encourage artistic evolution within the studio.
- Defines the artistic goals with the Art Director and for the Game Director and manages the vision through all phases of the game development cycle from pre-production through final product release. This entails ensuring visual development assets are of the highest artistic quality and uphold the integrity of the games design and artistic vision of the game as a whole.
- Shows initiative by independently undertaking research and information gathering prior to the commencement of a new task to ensure game design needs, reference materials, artistic direction and technological considerations are effectively managed to meet defined goals.
- Capable of managing a wide-range of unusually complex and sensitive artistic development issues by providing innovative solutions for both artists as well as other team members.
- Lead the visual development team, including assisting in recruitment, hiring, and/or contracting key talent for the team.
- Actively advances skill set and then shares this knowledge with the visual development team. This entails keeping aware of industry trends and techniques, evaluating competitive products, learning new software packages and traditional art methods.
- Possess strong time management and prioritization skills to ensure set goals will be met from a scope, schedule or artistic perspective.
- May serve as an artistic resource for overall product or as a studio resource. This includes, but is not limited to conducting general research, developing cutting-edge techniques or testing new systems and tools.
- Represent the studio in outside art related discussions where so required.
- Leadership role experience across at least one major project.
- Minimum 8 years industry experience or related experience.
- B.A. in fine arts or relevant curriculum or Equivalent skill set.
- Extensive traditional fine art skills, training and production experience (illustration, painting, human anatomy, organic forms, color theory, perspective, 2D & 3D design.)
- Highly proficient in the use of Photoshop/Painter as well as traditional painting/rendering techniques. Understanding of the fundamentals of 3D packages a plus.
- Knowledgeable about video game product development including, but not limited to workflow, tools, limits of technology, matte painting, color keys, character turnarounds, story board, marketing material, graphic design, HUD/UI design experience desirable.
- Current or next-gen video game platform experience required. 2 or more published titles required.
- Excellent communication, organizational, time management and interpersonal skills.
- Represent the department or project in a leadership role. This could entail interacting with management and outside parties regarding project or personnel matters.
- When designated, make decisions about the overall direction of a team or project.
- Work on unusually complex and sensitive problems and provides state-of-the art solutions that are highly creative.
About Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA) is home to the PlayStation(R) family of products, including the PlayStation(R)3 (PS3 TM), PlayStation(R) Vita (PS Vita), PlayStation(R) Mobile and PlayStation(R)Network. Founded in 1994, SCEA has grown into a leading global computer entertainment brand and continues to redefine interactive consumer entertainment. Since the original PlayStation(R) first revolutionized the world of gaming, SCEA has repeatedly set the benchmark for innovation in home and portable entertainment through amazing gameplay experiences that inspire people across the world. Based in Foster City, CA, SCEA serves as headquarters for all North American operations and employs over 2,104 people in offices located in Foster City, CA, San Diego, CA, Santa Monica, CA and Bend, OR.
It is SCEA's policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. SCEA does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, marital status, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, national origin, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law. SCEA also makes reasonable accommodations for disabled applicants and employees.